Launching in Sydney Harbour

Mike S

Hi,

Can anyone advise a location that's easy to launch a Maricat onto Sydney Harbour. North shore or Northern Beaches preferred. I had a look at Clontarf and The Spit, neither are really easy to launch from. Is Balmoral an option, or Greenwich or Woolwich.

Any advice appreciated. I don't have beach wheels and will be launching solo, so really need a beach area next to a boat ramp, or similar.

Thanks

Mike S

Balmoral is the only place I use now to launch my catamaran. There is a sailing club there as well as plenty of room and a great beach.

There is room for your trailer and plenty of parking as well. It can get busy on weekends, but I usually don't have too many problems.

I often go down after work during daylight savings and go for an afternoon blast.

I have used Rose Bay as well, but the parking sux big time.

That's the way.

I reverse my trailer to the gate near the sailing club and then push it near the tree that is between the club and the beach and rig up there.

It is nice rigging on the grass, and then I use my beach rollers to take the boat fully rigged to the beach.

That is how everyone else does it, including the club members.

Sometimes I will just take the boat and gear all the way down the beach and rig there, but not very often.

Launch from the Eastern end ofBalmoral beach. You will need to drag the boat across the grass to the beach but their is no concrete to negotiate.

Cheers

Willy

Originally posted by Mike S:

Hi,

Can anyone advise a location that's easy to launch a Maricat onto Sydney Harbour. North shore or Northern Beaches preferred. I had a look at Clontarf and The Spit, neither are really easy to launch from. Is Balmoral an option, or Greenwich or Woolwich.

Any advice appreciated. I don't have beach wheels and will be launching solo, so really need a beach area next to a boat ramp, or similar.

Thanks

Mike S

• 7 months later...

Recently launched from Rose Bay - the answer was to launch in to the water from the boat ramp then paddle the cat over to the small beach area on the road side to set up. Similarly take down on the beach (next to the old floating restaurant) paddle over to the boat ramp and onto the trailer. I had no problems parking on the saturday. It was an experience sailing under the harbour bridge, watching seaplanes taking off and landing and sailing in close proximity with other boats - nice feeling, as i normally sail on Botany bay.

I'm sure there is cat sailing at Woolwich Pier - certainly seen them in the water when at the pub there

Have fun !!

Cat

There are only really 2 places to launch a catamaran in Sydney Harbour if there is only a couple of you there.

That is Balmoral where I could launch a Tornado single handedly as well as Clontarf.

These places are grass rigging leading onto sand then water with plenty of parking.

There are other places but no where near as easy as these. I would never even try anywhere else.

Check out Double Bay, where the 18s lauch from. We (KCC members) have lauched from there and cruised the Harbour on Tornadoes, Nacra 5.8 and A Class. Plenty of Grass rigging are and ample room to get in and out. Just don't go there on a Saturday during 18 foot skiff racing season as it will be very congested.

Emmessee/ or (Tornad)o please detail further how you launch and sail a tornado singlehanded.. I presume this means you have help getting the cat on and off the trailer and erecting and lowering the mast? I was offered an exchange tornado for my QB some years back but the thought of trying to manhandle a T around by myself put me off. I just didn't think you could do it solo, not without the strength of Atlas anyway.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replys. Balmoral is fine for launching a cat. It's better if you have beach wheels, (a long drag over the beach without them.)

I've recently moved to Darwin. Much easier to launch from the sailing club here, and not rigging each time if you park it at the club. Not as cheap but great convenience.

I love Sydney but here I can go for a quick sail without the hassle.

Mike

• 7 years later...

Anyone launched at Hen and Chicken bay ramp? Hoping to get a mari and h14 onto the harbour close to our base in Lilyfield. For reasons of logistics we can't do any of the aforementioned spots and no beach wheels. Ironically we have a ramp 50 metres from where the boats live on Leichhardt bay but but the old lilyfield bridge is between us and extremely convenient sailing.

Anyone launched at Hen and Chicken bay ramp? Hoping to get a mari and h14 onto the harbour close to our base in Lilyfield. For reasons of logistics we can't do any of the aforementioned spots and no beach wheels. Ironically we have a ramp 50 metres from where the boats live on Leichhardt bay but but the old lilyfield bridge is between us and extremely convenient sailing.

Have you checked out the facilities at Concorde-Ryde Sailing Club? That must be pretty close to where you are in Lilyfield.

But honestly, further back in this thread it was pointed out that the 2 easiest (and by far the nicest) launching spots are Clontarf and Balmoral.

Sure, you need beach wheels - unless there are always 2 of you - in which case you can lift the boats on and off the trailers... and if you don't have a set of beach wheels (the ones for sand), bite the bullet and get one... then the whole gamut of beautiful spots is at your disposal.

If launching from either Clontarf or Balmoral, there's nothing to stop you sailing into Sydney Harbour - altho' I'm not sure how 'legal' it is to sail under the Harbour Bridge - across shipping lanes is not kosher - but it's up2U if you wanna get run down by the Rivercat of Sydney Ferry - they will NOT give way if you are in the way... at least they can't always stop in time to avoid you - so take your chances...

I used to launch at Clonny, sail over to Watsons Bay, have a bite of lunch there - and then over to Manly and back into Clontarf - on a nice day it's just the best thing you can do... surfing the swells back into Middle Harbour in a fresh Nor' Easter - magic!

The thing about Clontarf - it is hands down the best place to launch - but you MUST get there early - and take the boat off the trailer at the reserve side, leave the trailer on the beach hard up against the nature wall that separates the beach from the reserve, and then whip the car round the other side of the reserve and park it there - that way it's all FREE... this is something I do all the time. It's all about timing and planning.

The 'authorities' turn a blind eye to trailers left neatly on the beach - but you must make sure that they aren't obtrusive...

Opposite Clontarf at the little beach near the bus stop is also possible - (if you didn't wanna cross the Spit Bridge) - but no facilities like at Clontarf or Bally - but you could always sail over to either beach for a bite or a drink...

Yeah I agree with you PP. Both balmoral and clontarf are tops and conc/ryde is not bad either but it's nowhere near as easy on the eye. I've had a mono moored on the harbour for years now and know it all pretty well. The cat I have for out of town use and have no great desire to sail it on the harbour much. The issue is that we are trying to get two boats on the harbour very soon with one trailer between them. If we find a spot to launch close enough to where they live [lilyfield] then we'll shuttle. My mate has just got a mari back in shape and is dead keen to get it out on the water "yesterday" and start to learn to sail. If there's nowhere close enough he'll just have wait until his trailer is ready! Cheers

I had my single trailer converted to a double... not too hard to do...and it can be converted back to a single in about 10 minutes... if you wanna see how it was done it's at our showroom in Regents Park...

http://www.herohoists.com.au/locationmap.html

Oh, BTW - we're agents for the •M• Trailers - springless design - far better quality than 95% of stuff out there – and can get you a discounted price on one... and that's true for any1 here on Catsailor.

:)

As it turns out I found a launch a lot closer to base and it was sweet! Forest for the trees etc. Anyways, gotta work tides without rollers but we were able to get trailers on the beach and respectfully stow them while we sailed. See pic... foliage strategically placed to protect the identity of the innocent location;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1308[/ATTACH]

post-24234-13778265947214_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

As this topic is going back a few years, has anyone got any updates on this?

Just purchased a hobie 16, but didn't really think about where I could launch/sail it.

Im in the north west of Sydney, so was thinking the harbour ( east of Rhodes/Ryde bridge) Might be ok. Spent 3 hours checking out spots today and found bugger all. Concord/Ryde sailing club didn't appear to have any beach launching area wher you could get a trailer in.

Has anyone launched in the harbour around palm beach? 

Are Balmoral and Clontarf still Ok? A lot can change in a few years.

Any other suggestions?

• 5 years later...

For Iron Cove there are two boat ramps at Rodd Point at the Sailing Club. There is grass area and sandy beach to set up or come in on. However, you have to lower trailer by hand on the two ramps, also the park gate can be locked so someone from the club has to be there to sail there. The other three places are Five Dock Boat Ramp but that is pretty busy with speed boats but has a beach; then a quite spot is Wymston Parade Boat Ramp has a beach but is effected by tides so be prepared to use a roller if the tide is out. The last place is Drummoyne Yacht Club has a beach and steep ramp but I have not used that one yet, it maybe part of the club to get down not sure.

CD0C0216-AFCC-45C4-94A7-17540F700DF9.jpeg