Mast Rake 5.8

NacraPhelia628

In light wind (10-15knots tops) my boat seems to go quite well considering it is one of the old heavy models. When the wind starts to pick up over 15 knots the boat doesn't seem to power up and get going. My rake is always set at the front of the rear inspection hatch (using the trapeze measurement) but if I adjust this to the rear will it help me power up in stronger winds? I have had a look at everything else on the boat and it all seems fine (down haul is good, jib is good and all tell-tails are alligned) but it just struggles to keep up with other boats in 15kn +.

[This message has been edited by NacraPhelia628 (edited 14 March 2006).]

Hi Josh,

Have a look at your spreader rake and diamond wire tension, spreaders should be about 35mm aft rake and diamond wire should be firm to tight. Up wind the jib should be cranked on tight as well as the mainsheet and the traveller centred with the mast rotation at about 45 dec. Don't use to much downhaul until the boat constantly flies a hull than use the downhaul and the helm to trim the boat, don't keep dumping the main and pulling it back on, that's the slow way.

When the breeze kicks in ease the traveller out 200mm pull on more rotation and work the hell out of the downhaul and keep the main cranked. Also sail the boat flat, flying a hull to high is slow too.

Regards Graceland 1591.

20060212_VR_0021.jpg

The above photo was taken in 20 - 25 knots.

Thanks for that Steve, the problem is that I am doing all of that and the only other thing I can think of is mast rake being too far forward. The boat doesn't necessarily want to fly a hull too high, it just doesn't get up to speed. I have tried bearing off the wind then coming back up but I still cant get speed. Pointing is not a problem as in under 15 knot breeze I can point as high as anyone else. Its just a wierd one at the moment.

Josh,

Somehow, with your counterbalance factor, I wouldn't have thought flying a hull too high would be too much of a problem for you ...

Something I found up at Port Hunter was that the further forward I moved, the more acceleration I got out of her. Since we both have the heavy skipper/light crew problem, you might find that useful as well.

Mitch

Josh you should of said something on Sunday morning at Trial Bay and we all could had a look at it for you. You can try and rake it back 1 hole on the chainplate, basicly trial and error, also look at batten shape and batten tension. The battens may be to stiff, need to shave them or they are to loose in the batten pockets, tension them so they just hold the sail when inverted.

Also have a look at the leech tension of the mainsail when rigged on the bank, pull some rotation on plus some downhaul and crank the mainsheet on and have a look at the sail from behind the boat. Check if the mainsailis hooking or laying off and look at the depth of the sail too.

Other than that you could come down to the Graceland School Of Nacra 5.8 Sailing at Port Hunter for $1000 /week for some hard core training.

Regards Graceland.

To be honest I didn't really think of it until the end of the day. I do however have the batten tensions which I did myself a couple of weeks ago, they are:

1.(top) 11.5lb, 2. 8lb, 3. 6.5lb, 4. 6lb, 5. 5lb, 6. 4.5lb, 7. 4lb, 8. 4lb, 9. 3lb, 10. 3lb, 11. 1.75lb.

I'll have a look at the leech next time I raise the sail and take a few photos to email you.

Nacra School? Make it $3000 and you got a deal...

A couple of questions that may help with your problem. What type of main are you running, the 5 hole plate or the track. and where is this set.

Also what is your jib position. Measured from back of front beam to saddle.

Quick answer to you original question, yes the further back you go the better you will point, but you will sacrifice some down wind speed. You should be back between the back of the hatch and the rear of the boat anyrate.

Also what spreader rake are you using and what is your crew weight.

On the sail I'm having trouble with it has the 5 hole clew board and I run it on the middle hole most of the time.

Spreader rake is 35mm, my crew weight is 65kg and I am 95kg.

Jib position is 1090mm back from the back of the front beam

In regards to the rake position, I have never seen a competitive 5.8 rake set behind the hatch cover and from what I have been told there should really only be 3 settings on the rake; front, middle and rear of the hatch cover.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, it is greatly appreciated.

Yeah Josh the $3000 suits me fine, it might just cover our drinking bill for a week. Also it's good to see Team Goose from the West Coast posting again.

Try what Emmeesee said by going in to hole 2, again try it on the bank and check your sail shape from hole 3 - 2 by standing behind the boat.

Another thing which hasn't been mentioned is placement of crew weight. Make sure you and your crew are shoulder to shoulder and move forward or aft to trim the bows upwind.

Any more tips Josh you might win the super series and the states next year mate!

Regards Graceland 1591.

PS. I think Rev needs to go to the Graceland School of Nacra 5.8 Sailing too!!!

[This message has been edited by GRACELAND1216 (edited 15 March 2006).]

I thought I might share with you some settings from an Ex NSW 5.8 sailor that won 5 nationals and a Worlds. I'm sure he won't mind me posting these, as he now sails F18's.

It will remove the idea that no competive 5.8 rakes back behind the hatch! All competitive boats did until a couple of years ago.

Spreader Rake - 40mm.

Diamonds - 38 lous light/medium and loosen 1 turn for heavy.

Top batten - 8.5 kgs light/medium and a blank for heavy.

Rake - 4 inches from back of boat.

jib - 1145mm from back of front beam (was approx 3 inches further back than most others)

So looking at your settings i would rake mast back another hole behind the hatch.

Get a couple of heavier battens for the top two. (approx 10kgs and 6 kgs)and use a blank in extra heavy.

Continue to use hole 3 in the main until it is very heavy and then go to hole 2 (front).

Hope this helps.

Goose

Sorry about that Mitch, to add further to your post about placement of crew weight is keep the crew weight together at all times on the work shuffling back and forth for the best trim, I have seen alot of 5.8's sailed with skipper and crew 3' - 4' apart, it looks ugly and the boat goes like a dog. During the 5.8 Super Series at Port Hunter I was chipped about driving the bows to low (about 2" - 3" above the waterline on the leeward bow) by some ex state and national champions. Since than I have not been driving the bows down so hard with positive results.

Thanks Goose for those measurements, I would imagine you had your last 5.8 set up with those measurements with a marked improvement.

Regards Graceland 1591.

hey when i have been sailing with your crew josh. i make sure i keep very close to her lol. and i do recall the last time i sailed with her we kicked butt. the setting on your boat are good, your boat is going great. you where the fastest of the boats under 1500 and sailed up with the 1500/1600 boats all last weekend. one of your drama's going up wind is that you where in bad air behind other boats and it is hard to exspect your boat to beat a boat that is carrying 40kg less wieght than you. all boats go like a dog if you have a couple of other boats dumping bad air on you. maybe we can get a group discount at the gracelands sailing school. $1000 per week and that includes all the grog we can drink, i'm in, do i even have to bring a boat? and do any of the lessons require us to leave the bar?

p.s

for someone who has really only been racing one season i think you guys are sailing very well. and i am not the only one who has said that, a lot of people noted how well you guys went last weekend on an older boat. it is good to see you knocking off the 12-14 hundred number boats in 628. it used to piss them off when i used to do it and know you are kicking them as well.

Thanks for the kind words REV. I suppose at the end of the day we did do pretty well to win the under 1500 category and the boat is ultimately going to be slower than a brand new one. I will keep at it and see if we can improve on speed and I may try changing a few small settings just to see what it does. I really don't want to rake the mast too far back as the boats downwind speed is excellent (we were pulling away from the brand new boats in most races).

Emmessee, feel free to have another go on 628 although we are in Far North NSW at the moment so it may be a fair drive for you...

Archived