cat stays

The tang's of a 4.9 (the metal bits in the hull the bridal attaches to) are designed to take the load from a bridal with a single forestay. to put individual forestays on will change the direction of the load. ultimatley this will bend the tangs in a upward direction and in a worst case scenario cause cracking around the area.

best to stay with the bridal and single forestay.

Hello Danny

Lately the only time I seem to have is for the occasional lurking on the various cat e-groups. I miss my old boat (there is a photo of it on the Shanghai Sailing Club website).

The Taipan fleet in SA has fallen in a hole since 3 or 4 or us sold-up at the same time. It is good that your brother has picked up one and that you are thinking about a taipan also. Can only be good for cat sailing in general in SA.

Hopefully next season I will be in a position to seriously think about getting back into sailing. I would need to go one-up which narrows my options down to T4.9/F16 cat, A, or F14. I still have my trailer.

Phil

I have a photo taken at this years Nationals showing the StaMaster adjuster on the forestay of Dennis Bakers boat, Noel Grellet also has the same.

Quite happy to email it to you if you'd like.

By the way, it would be good thing to see some South Aus taipans hit the water again, I don't know how many are still sailing, but not nearly as many as there were years ago.

Regards

Matt Harper

AUS 329

At adelaide sailing club we have 2 sloop rig 1 cat rig with spinnaker at milang we have 2 boats. My brother will be sailing 1 up and i'm going to look at a boat this week if ok i will be sailing sloop rig at adelaide and milang.Also am thinking f16 later down the track as there is 1 blade f16 sailing at victor will convert if more hit the water thanks danny

Yeah I'd agree with that, the mainsail would be about all that changes for quite a while I'd say, and for a one design class thats fair enough to, the class doesn't want to become F16, but theres nothing stopping anyone putting a kite on, to sail with the F16's either. Theres a mention of reviewing almost every aspect of the class in the near future and developing something along the lines of a five year plan.

I think the main change will go ahead, in just the last couple of months people have had more time to digest what the changes are. When I rang several class members early in piece, they didn't even know about the vote or the proposed change. The association has extended the no use in championships til the 2009 nationals, which is a good move for those who have bought new sails recently.

Anywho, I will let you know what goes on.

Regards

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well the Taipan 4.9 mainsail change has been voted on and the result is as follows.

79% For the Proposed Change.

15% Against.

5% Of votes deemed invalid.

There 83 voting forms sent out, 53 recieved back from memory.

Hopefully exciting times ahead for a fantastic class.

Regards

Matt

[This message has been edited by mattaipan (edited 03 March 2007).]

Archived