cat rig v's sloop rig

Hi Brad,

Yes in simple terms you can simply leave the jib off and go sailing. the boat will still preform. There are a lot more changes that can be made to the boat if you start to sail the boat in ether configeration. Pre bend, barber huller, sail fulness ect.

I regulary sail with a crew and the boat reflect that. but when Mel can't make it I still have a ball sailing cat rig.

In saying all of that i lent my boat for the NSW states as a cat and it came in second place with on changes.

Sam

AUS257

Hi Brad,

Yes some of the older cats use the old A-class ally section, however these mast are no longer aloud to be sold under a new rule from this years AGM, So boats that currently have the "lighter Mast" can stil use them but once they break or are damaged the rig has to be replased with the standard section. (also there is worry the lighter section wont stand up against the new big head sail)

Sam

Hi Brad,

I think you have miss taken my post, you do not need to have a two diffrent rigs to sail the boat in cat or sloop.

To clarify what I said was you can sail the boat as a sloop/cat with minimal change. once you get more competitive you will prob set the boat up to favor ether sloop or cat.

If you are in NSW, I will be sailing at the speers point reggatta on friday (unless the weather is crapy) you are more then welcome to come down and look at my boat and discuss any questions you may have, or call me 0414 934 115

Sam

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice.

I finally had a chance to wet the new boat (# 085) on the weekend in Moreton Bay. I was blown away by this awesome cat. I started off sailing cat rigged, then a mate joined me for some sloop action.

I can see that I have a lot to learn about mastering the potential of the Taipan. For example I am still getting used to the manouverability and sensitive steering. I've been reading the tips 'n tricks on the association website, but there is no substitute for getting out on the water and getting the feel of the boat.

I'm going to get in some practice and hopefully head south for the nationals in January.

I'm excited!

Brad

Archived