Taipan 4.9

Don't forget about the taipan 5.7's that help to make up sail number 339.

a little over 300 boats in 20 years, its not very good is it.

in 20 years how many hobie 16's have hit the water? they are probably still doing close to 300 boats a year now.

Its quite remarkable a product that is so good has sold so poorly.

hardly fair to compare the pricing of a 1994 H16 to a 1994 Taipan. the Taipan cost close to 8k more than the hobie, so you can throw the hobie away and come out even.

there in lies the major problem with the 4.9. they hold thier value far too well. it makes it very difficult for new sailors to get into the class when the used boats are so expensive.

class's like lasers and hobie 16's have thrived on good sailors that choose to buy new boats after 12-18 months, and pass thier boats on rather than buy new sails.

taipan sailors buy new sails, not new boats.

Originally posted by Herman:

Great information, thankyou.

I have heard a rumor of a batch that may not have been as competative as others, as is the case for most boats. Has anyone heard this, and what year/sail no. would they be?

I find that rumours generally are just that .... rumours.

Usually started by disaffected people

Harry

TESTIMONIALS

Thanks for making the improvements.

I’m just writing a short note to complement you on the changes made to the 4.9 Taipan hull.

Having now owned both the series one hulls, (three part mould) and the series two hulls, (two part mould) I have to say that the later built hulls have improved performance on the earlier boat. The changes to hull shape has meant that the hull now planes earlier and due to the increased buoyancy, they re-surface better when reaching and running. And in my opinion allows the boat to tack easier.

I have sailed the boat in all conditions and I believe there is no question that the latest version hull have distinct advantages to performance and handling. Thanks for making the improvements.

Dennis Baker

Victoria

AUS 229

Originally posted by Herman:

Great information, thankyou.

I have heard a rumor of a batch that may not have been as competative as others, as is the case for most boats. Has anyone heard this, and what year/sail no. would they be?

Hi Herman,

Maybe it's just a case of less competitive sailors rather than less competative boats?

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 07 September 2008).]

Originally posted by HooD:

TESTIMONIALS

Thanks for making the improvements.

I’m just writing a short note to complement you on the changes made to the 4.9 Taipan hull.

Having now owned both the series one hulls, (three part mould) and the series two hulls, (two part mould) I have to say that the later built hulls have improved performance on the earlier boat. The changes to hull shape has meant that the hull now planes earlier and due to the increased buoyancy, they re-surface better when reaching and running. And in my opinion allows the boat to tack easier.

I have sailed the boat in all conditions and I believe there is no question that the latest version hull have distinct advantages to performance and handling. Thanks for making the improvements.

Dennis Baker

Victoria

AUS 229

What year's/sail no.'s were these 3 part moulds in construction.

Correct me if im wrong, wouldn't you rather buy into a class where you can buy a boat that is 15 years old and be more than competitive with any other class on the water. To be competitive on a hobie you cant have a boat more than 2 years old because they get soft this is why all the good guys upgrade every couple of years, have you ever seen a 15 year old 16 beat all the new ones around the course or been at the front of the fleet. I dont think so!!. This is why the taipan holds its value so good because you dont have to have a new boat to win states and nationals this has been proven over the years in both cat rigged and sloop rigged. I know I would rather spend 8 grand on a taipan and 5 years later sell it for the same money or even more than what I paid for it. I think its the best starter class for youth looking to start sailing doesn't matter if you spend 4 grand or 20 grand there all the same speed. I'm pretty sure for a new 16 on a trailer they are close to 18 grand anyway for an extra 3 grand I know what I would rather have.

Found this while searching through the taipan forum hope it helps

From sam257

HI tgh,

The older style boats are still very competitive in all classes.

Boats 0-180 are made in a three pice mould and boats 181 - curret are a two pice mould (joined along the center line).

The yahoo forum is very active but I don't know who looks after it , It took me a long time to get on as well I will try to fing out how you should contact.

Cheers Shane

[This message has been edited by ausstricker (edited 11 September 2008).]

Thanks, so far I have

1988 - boat # 1

....... – boat # 29

Late 80s - boat # 65

1994 - boat # 100

....... - boat # 122

1998 – boat # 155

....... - boat # 180

2000 - boat # 228

Nov 2001 - boat # 246

2008 - boat # 339

What else should you look for in a 4.9

Hulls - Glass, Kevlar, double Kevlar

Main - big head

Spreaders - proctor adjustable spreaders

C/boards - Glass / Carbon

Rudders - Glass / Carbon, rod lock down

Rudder stocks - Alloy / Carbon

Beach wheels - Eurotrax

Trailer - No tie down / galvanised registered.

What is a new main with battens worth? As far as I am concerned, a boat without a big main should be 2k (?) cheaper.

[This message has been edited by tornado (edited 15 September 2008).]

Archived