5.7 ...forgoten?

hello all

yes cols back with 137..heres a can-o-worms

there has been so much development and changes to the 4.9 with rules re written to accomodate the updates, but the 5.7 seems to have been left on the shelf and hasnt changed from the origianal other than the addition of the kite and the cantered hulls, which in my humble opinion made the boat no better.

I dont see the boat has been squashed by the evolution of the F18, the 5.7 is still a desiered class and there are alot of 5.7s sailing regularly.I know of several people eagerly wanting to buy one. (let me know if youre selling one!)

it seems that most of the 5.7 sailors are willing to develop and invest time and money to do so, maily the big head main, but will it be worth it if the boat wont be legal at the nationals???

I'd like to ask the other 5.7 sailors what rule changes might be appropriate (within reason) to put forward to the association to update this fantastic boat!

my sugestions would be

1/a big head main.

2/carbon bits (if afordable)

3/cantered or verticle hulls (ever wonder why the F18's arent Cantered??)

lastly, i have noticed that there is someone in need of a 5.7 hull. has anyone (or the association) considered making a new mould?(seeing as how the original was runover by a dozer at the bendigo tip)

and to all those F18 sailors...no I'm not flogging a dead horse!

regards Col

DJUFRT..again! (yes thats the boat name)

hi Leon

the 5.7 hulls are all cantered via wedges under the beams. the hulls were never moulded with cantering. I personaly have removed these wedges and straightend my hulls, the boat feels much better and now has less tendency to nosedive. after sailing with the boat cantered for many years i can honestly say it's much better with straight hulls!

the problem with maccas frankencat is that its gone from having next to no boats to sail with to no boats to sail with.

oddballs are fun for an afternoon but if you want to race you need some sort of class racing.

that is why the 5.7 is a dead stick, not enough boats were sold.

Archived