Anybody know where a new 5.7 mast is?

great to hear so many 5.7s active in SA!

any chance we could intrest a few of you guys into comming to the Vic States at Altona? it looks like there will be at least 6 5.7s (unles my boat sells prior)

4 with spin 2 without. if a few of you guys could make it in march it could be the biggest gathering of 5.7s for years.

altona will have camping avaliable at the club (or very close by.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year would be a real stretch for me as thats my biggest work month of the year and I've already committed to go to Sauna Sail again and join the Rivoli Taipans at Lake Bullen Marie at Easter. Altona's not far from here (relatively) so I'd like to know the details. Can you send the info to jeffsouthall@yahoo.com.au so I can spread the word. I'm currently working with someone to try and get the SA Taipan association going and then we can work with you guys a lot better. If any of you guys like distance races on flat water have a look at our 70 plus km Earthmovers race on April 17th that I've posted in the regatta forum here. Last year I sailed the 13km downwind leg on the wire with the spin on flat water fantastic fun. We'll have minimum 3 X 5.7's with spin plus 4.9's, 5.8's, F18's, F16's, A's, Stingrays etc

When you've worked out next years programme can you send it to me so I can spread the word and organise myself to join you and I'll send you guys our program

regards Jeff

Can you get him to register the boat on the taipan site. its good to know where the boats are sailed and how many there are.

unless my boat sells before, i am hopeing to get to bullen marry for easter, and i know the 2 altona boats will be there.

i'd also like to do the SA race as well (if the hand break lets me.)

[This message has been edited by djufrt 137 5.7 (edited 15 January 2010).]

Originally posted by Village Idiot:

I have one in my back yard

I'm in Brisbane!

Hi Village Idiot,

Do you have a 5.7 boat to go under the mast and if so are you sailing locally? I am hoping to get to some SE Qld events this year and I am looking for company. (actually I am going to try to get to Altona, VIC, in March as well as the Gold Coast great race). Hope to hear from you.

Regards, Carl

Originally posted by Deadlypurrsuit:

Hi Village Idiot,

Do you have a 5.7 boat to go under the mast and if so are you sailing locally? I am hoping to get to some SE Qld events this year and I am looking for company. (actually I am going to try to get to Altona, VIC, in March as well as the Gold Coast great race). Hope to hear from you.

Regards, Carl

Don't have a boat,use to sail 5.8's ,was chasing a tornado rig for a 23Ft tri I'm building and come across a 5.7 Taipan rig,the guy I brought it off somehow ended up with a spare one..

The sails on the Blue Beast which was the prototype have number 58 on them I assume they came off a newer boat, what would be the proper number for me to use to list it on the Taipan site for the new owner?

If everything works out, Fergs gets his new mast this Friday. The Blue beast officially has a new owner who's already organised a new spin kit. Hopefully 3 x 5.7's with spin on the water here this Saturday

if u think red is fast why were you so worried about a 5.7 without spinnaker pre nationals hahahahah NOW THATS !!! AWESOME !!!! even up to the last race i had a chance. cannot wait for the states and i really hope that the guys/girls from interstate are able to come down/across to ALTONA to have some great times with very committed 5.7,4.9 sailors. BEWARE colin, brad and i have been secretly match racing and the outcome has been vvvvvvery good, lots of tuning going on. (did you notice that i was the only one at the nationals to beat the viper on corrected time. true hehehehe)

Originally posted by djufrt 137 5.7:

thanks

Great Pic......blue looks good but Reds Faster!!!

you here too much. i wonder where the leak is. Was that the previous week or last week. doing the wild thing in 5-8 knots and tipping over can be quite embarrassing. You have to know the boundaries of no return

Yes Greg I hear youve been doing some "training"...how are the swimming lessons comming allong???

now youre letting the cat out of the bag, I only knew about this week HaHa!

you have to stop "showboating"

I'll give you a lesson on wildthining if you like! smile.gif

Originally posted by awesome:

you here too much. i wonder where the leak is. Was that the previous week or last week. doing the wild thing in 5-8 knots and tipping over can be quite embarrassing. You have to know the boundaries of no return

cannot wait for the states and i really hope that the guys/girls from interstate are able to come down/across to ALTONA to have some great times with very committed 5.7,4.9 sailors. BEWARE colin, brad and i have been secretly match racing and the outcome has been vvvvvvery good, lots of tuning going on.

Colin's been sharing some tuning tips with me so my pitchpoles should be even more spectacular now, the only thing that reasures me is that the distance travelled is still limited by the trap wire. I've bought Liz a softer harness so that when I follow her in it's gentle on me and we dont have to swim because the boat will catch up with us sooner or later.

I still doubt we'll get to Altona but I have it in the diary if the work thins out.

Djufrt I cant believe your looking at a boozer cruiser we raced with them last weekend and they were being blown flat then doing these wild roundups while we were bobbing along

great pick..how did you get it in the message? i went to the link, (thanks for that) i was looking for the photos from the nats. did you notice the sequence of the 3 photos? the one posted is the middle one.the other 2 are very telling!

to get the pic into the message... find the pic on the internets... eg: http://photos.catsailor.org/0910/Taipan2010/IMG_6965.CR2.jpg

(to find this address, right click, properties, address)

then you just need to put the tags around it. eg: [img']picture address[/img'] without the ' (had to put them in or it wont show up)

But yeah you got a jump on us that leg, but i seem to recall beating you guys to the finish line smile.gif

Awesome, we beat Brett's viper too, after he capsized twice in the same spot! the video was priceless, just wish we had a copy.

haha yes i wondered if you would notice. There seems to be many photos/videos of the series with only a few on the website which is a pity. the photos are difficult to find and its only through the forum that you learn where some of them are. i had a friend holidaying in gipps ring me to say there is a photo of awesome and splinter in the results section. its a great photo of splinter and one you would want on a wall behind your bar or billiard table etc. BTW the poem is exellent. look forward to the next time we catch up, maybe i will have a spinnaker on board by then and have some good match racing.

Originally posted by HooD:

to get the pic into the message... find the pic on the internets... eg: http://photos.catsailor.org/0910/Taipan2010/IMG_6965.CR2.jpg

(to find this address, right click, properties, address)

then you just need to put the tags around it. eg: [img']picture address[/img'] without the ' (had to put them in or it wont show up)

But yeah you got a jump on us that leg, but i seem to recall beating you guys to the finish line smile.gif

Awesome, we beat Brett's viper too, after he capsized twice in the same spot! the video was priceless, just wish we had a copy.

Hope you can get to Altona Jeff. We are comming down; only 2000 km and a 24 hour drive. Looking forward to putting faces to forum page comments. I have heard that Altona is a place that cannot be missed. I hope we country folk can handle the pace.

We are also keen to see how a 5.7 is really meant to be sailed. From what I read there are quite a few 5.7 legandary sailors down your way.

I believe Greg, Colin, Brad, Neil and Jeremy will be there. Is this correct?

Regards, Carl

Archived