pointing up a 5.7

Hi,

Would anyone have a few tips on getting my 5.7 to point up. I am getting tied of being owned up wind by 5.8s and such, and I have tried all I know(which is limited). We carry 180 to 200kg crew combined weight. Assume 15knts breeze and a big head main and non self tacking jib.

I have played with mast rake, luff, outhaul, rotation, etc

Thanks guys, regards

Carl

Hi carl

It's Matt Homan I haven't sailed much on a 5.7 but have had a lot of sailing on a capricorn and taipan 4.9 Vertually the same rigs just a little smaller. Some little tips Find a starting point for diamond wire tention and spreader rake Maybe 25mm to 35mm rake on the spreaders and about 15mm to 20mm prebend. Not sure what the wire tention should be for that because every rig is different. Next set your your mast rake around hatch cover or maybe bit further Back depending on conditions. Remember to only change one thing at a time if it doesn't work change it back. You should be able to find a happy medium were you dont have to change rig setup for different conditions only mast rake and sidestay tention depending on waves. Go for a sail in a good consistant breeze if the boat feels like its stalling upwind and the boat won't drive forward drop the mast rake back a little. If you seem to be pulling on a lot of downhaul early and overpowered increase the spreader rake. You are going to need a powerful rig sailing at 200 kg. It might take a while to find your setting but persistance is the key. Outhaul should be about 3 inches between the boom and the sail. rotation about at the centreboard remember when you pull the rotation in it lets the head of the sail lay off and having it out lets it stand up. An easy way to remember is if you want height have it out if you dont need height like when your reaching or trying to foot over someone pull it in. Most important thing is pull your main on as hard as you can and then pull it on another 5 inches the big head needs a lot of mainsheet tention to get the head to stand up. Hope this helps a little but its hard to know without sailing the boat. I'm sure a few of the 5.7 guys will know more about 5.7 rig setup Regards Matt There is a regatta at wivenhoe dam coming up a few of us taipan guys heading to it should be a good regattta

[This message has been edited by Matt Homan 051 (edited 04 May 2010).]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carl

Mat is prety spot on but hears my 2 cents worth

I had the same problem for a while, is it your main or jib stalling b4 you get to where you want to be? and hows the helm? if the helm is OK dont move the mast to far.if its your jib stalling, get another one and have it cut fairly flat. also try sheeting the jib sheets out further on the tramp, (yes out to point higher) this opens up the slot and lets the salis breathe better and you go faster(if your using a kite get a self tacker, refer to tips & tricks on the taipan site) if your jib is working ok and your main is stalling out and loosing power, mats right use more mainsheet!!! i used HEAPS of tention to stand the leach up. then start using downhaull to flatten the main (and boat)and power up. my diamond rack was about 35mm and (i think) 35-40 on the lose gauge. 1 other thing that changed the way I set my boat, pull the mast rotation in!!! i used much less rotation with the big head than i ever did with the pin, spana should point to the rear beam.

hope this helps.I did also notice a big difference sailing with heaver crews (fat crews were always the problem, not fat skippers)try sailing with a featherweight and see the difference.

[This message has been edited by djufrt 137 5.7 (edited 13 May 2010).]

[This message has been edited by djufrt 137 5.7 (edited 13 May 2010).]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived