What to look for

The plan is to buy a 4.9 sloop for this season (sick of crew issues with the F18 - plus the weight of the boat is killing me!).

I will sail with one of my boys (10 and 12)as a sloop in club races and probably cat rig for champs (cat rig + kite for F16 stuff).

Should I stretch to a +180 boat with 2-piece hulls? Any performance difference compared to 3-piece hulls?

What about sails? Who is building phast sails for Phat Buoys?

Any other advice on buying a 4.9 would be much appreciated. I am also happy to hear from any vendors out there.

Hey Mate It's Matt Homan,

There is little to no difference between performance of older boats and newer ones.

With the older boats I think about 100 and under they had the bigger centreboards and after that they are the small lighter boards.

If you can find a boat eg number 60 for $6,000 or number 180 for $12,000 they will be both the same speed and weight. It comes down to finding a good platform that hasn't been knocked around much or been in any collisions, it is a bit hard to do with the older boats because of there age. Also depends on budget, with any boat you buy second hand I would recommend replacing all ropes, shackles checking rudder gudgeons, check under front beam where dolphin striker attaches(common place for cracks) virtually give the boat a major overhaul. There's nothing worse than going to a regatta that you have driven 10 hours to get to and have things break and only sail 1 race in the series. If it looks old replace it because there is a good chance the one shackle or downhaul rope you don't replace will break at the worst time. Good sailmaker is Goodall sails in Bendigo I get my sails through him and I am very happy with them.

Where are you located?

Hope this helps regards Matt

Thanks, Matt

I'm pretty sure the 'new' centreboards you are talking about are the ones I had on my Boyer A-cats (all 3!). Thanks for the tip - that is the sort of advice I was hoping for.

Apart from a main beam, I could just about refit a Taipan ex-stock! I will take your advice on the refit.

I am in Melbourne and have previously bought sails from Goodall, Irwin and Ashby - and I would happily buy again from any one of them. Just depends on who is doing development at the moment.

From memory, you were trying to sell an F18. Any luck yet? What is it about Australia and 18 foot cats?

Cheers, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Archived