What's happening?

Joshy

The perception from some of the posting on this forum is that there is a lot of bickering going on in the F16 world. That is not the case. There is one or two individuals who seem to thrive on goading people, but generally the small F16 community in Australia get on fine.

I agree, you and your wife sound ideally suited to an F16.

The flexibility of the taipan/F16 that JC has for sale is the option of racing in relatively big fleets in non-spinnaker mode at taipan events, or in spinnaker mode in F16 or club events.

The first factory produced Blade F16 recently hit the water in the US. From all accounts it has caused major interest, with I understand the first 5 boats to come off the production line already purchased.

P>

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well you all have lots to say but talk is cheap f16 will help build fleets i sail f18 at the momenent but are looking to get out f16 is very high on my list, All f16's are light weight with heaps of sail area just like f18 (except for the weight) I beleive you need to look forward not backwards and start promotion of above class if i get one i will be only one here in adelaide sure i will ruffle feathers but while i'm having the time of my life while sailing everone else will be sitting at home writing to this forum how bad f16 is. When we all started sailing we did for fun fun is where it's at see you on the water.

Please excuse my ignorance ... but what makes a craft eligable for f16 class?

I have a calypso 16 that I am currently in the process of dressing up and my plans include adding a kite.. I have just had new sails put on the old girl and it is in great shape. I would like to take this craft to its maximum potential.

I believe that you must explore the boundaries of whatever craft to further the developement and intrest of the sport. If you want to encourage new people into the sport you must let them have room to challenge the boundaries.

not planning to get out of f18 straight away f16 needs lots more planning before i think about it happy to watch you all gossip for a while but your class needs direction, with focus and direction you will see lots of these boat on the water only then will i come across. answer to your question modified 4.9 would be my choice

• 2 years later...

Watching the blade F16 go around was an unbelievable sight. Alot of people made comment about it.

And as for the out of date F16 mossie coming second in division 5 and second outright in the top gun regatta, It just shows for a 30+ designed boat can keep up with the new power house and only costs a fraction of the amount.

GO THE MOSSIES.

William

nswmossie.com

JiVe 1691

Watching the blade F16 go around was an unbelievable sight. Alot of people made comment about it.

And as for the out of date F16 mossie coming second in division 5 and second outright in the top gun regatta, It just shows for a 30+ designed boat can keep up with the new power house and only costs a fraction of the amount.

GO THE MOSSIES.

William

nswmossie.com

JiVe 1691

Originally posted by becjm:

Garry beat the fastest cat rig tipan by 1.36 in race 1 then r2 2.16 r3 2.52 r4 5.06 r5 5.36 r6 2.20 r7 broken spi pole 14sec races ranged from 30-50 min

He was racing against some of the top (National champions) in both taipan cat and sloop.

I reckon that was a great effort, given that the boat is still very new.

Originally posted by sam257:

At thge recent Taipan states held at KUrnell, the F16's proved that they even struggled to beat the taipan cat rigs around the course!!!!

just a thought xxxx

Hi Sam,

I was sailing the only optimised F16 at the Top Gun Regatta (which the Taipans used as the States). I raced in Div.5 starting 3 min. behind the Taipans Div.4 and finished with the front Taipans in most races. As quoted by others, elapsed times showed the Formula Catamarans Australia Blade F16 sailing one up was faster than the Taipans most races, this is no claim to fame as with a spinnaker I would expect the F16 to be faster.

However the competitivness of the F16 was shown by being first over the line out of the complete fleet in one race and it's result on VYC yardstick over the complete fleet of 50 + cats. Of a VYC of 71 which I don't think anybody has suggested is generous, the F16 placed 5th. with only one of the 20 Taipans ahead, the multiple National Champ Cat rig on VYC of 76.5 the Sloops VYC is 73.5 the first was 6th.

Regards Gary.

• 2 years later...

Will give the old hydra a good flogging for a couple of years then probs move into a faster class. Think using the hydra what it was inteded for is a great idea, ie a training boat.

Now this question ive asked a couple of times before and no one has really answered. Ok all hydras here were completely overweight and suffered from poor choices of cross beams and a weak mast. But if one was to take the hydra and make a newer version of it, reducing the total rigged weight to say 80kg, through new construction methods, would that make it a viable idea?

anyones thoughts would be great here.

enchouraging all comments good or bad.

cheers alex

Ok looks like im trying to reinvent the wheel here, was throwing the idea out there. Ive done quite a few different recreational activities and from what ive seen they seem to all suffer the same fate, that is a lack of young members and lack of enthusiam for trying new things. I think what some of us are loosing sight of is, that we are here to have fun. 100 cat race start is something i would dream of being part of. A major factor i think is that younger people who have restrictive budgets cannot afford the latest and greatest. Maybe with a little help from knowledgeable people we 'hot up older cat designs', this will increase the knowledge base and maybe will allow for faster designs in the future, but more importantly we are increasing the number of boats on the water!!!!

thats my two bob, for what its worth

Enthusiasm is great and what is needed. I think Nacra have done a great thing with the 430. It looks hot and will have people interested. The 14 foot class is starting to fire especially with people like Darcy Wilson making sure that if a boat is out there he will fix it up and get it on the water for a reasonable price.

Not everyone can afford a brand new boat and the Maricats and the Windrushs are great to get started. I was about to get into one of these a couple of months ago but ended up with an old Nacra 4.5 which I am slowly doing up.

Im 20 and im doing engineering at uni, now where are all the young people interested in sailing???? Can't enchourage anyone to come for a sail :( Would be great if a whole bunch of young people got together and started racing cats. I've really got stuck into the hydra rebuild, will hopefully have both rudders stripped and ready for glassing next week. And hope to get the trailer finished off too.

Its time to get people outside in the wind and spray, not in front of a computer screen :)

Hey Alex,

We have a couple of young people in the cobra class now including me,

We have started our season at parkdale and you are more than welcome to come down for a sail,

good luck with the re-build and let us know if you need any help with your hydra (as it looks very similar to a cobra) let us know!

Rob,

Dont worry about that Rob was going to ring and ask when your sailing next, will come down have a chin wag, find the ins and outs of parkdale. The rebuild is going really well, got stuck into the foils tonight, hope to have them ready for glassing by the end of the weekend. Trailer is nearly finished too, then its only the hulls and tramp to do, expected to have it fully finished by mid November..

Archived