What's happening?

Theres a few Taipans in Queensland, the next nationals are being held at Hervey Bay.

Theres a few in Victoria which have kites but I haven't seen them on any entry lists for a while, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure the reason, but the Taipans with kites seemed to be mostly sloop rigged.

Taipans seem to be priced from $4000 to up around $16000. I built mine, and estimate it cost me around $8000, on the water, with new, secondhand and seconds parts to fit it out, including an A Class trailer off ebay that I cut down to suit. I bought a new mainsail last year, probably the single biggest purchase to date.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably check the main beam for any cracks, seems to be what I hear the most from people.

I would try and get the weight checked, there is a few heavy ones around (I'm assuming that they are homebuilt) That said, maybe concentrate on a glass boat, less maintenance. You can probably tell alot of a boats general condition or how its been treated just by looking in the sail box, if its a mess and the boards and rudders are all chipped out, things just thrown in unwashed, it probably gives you a pretty good idea.

No the A Class doesn't fit the box rule for F16, completely different boat, your moving into different territory there.

Taipan is a good choice, its easy to handle, it can be sailed cat rigged or sloop rigged, strong association and sailed in many states. If you were in Victoria, I'd say look for a Taipan or a Mozzie. My previous boat is a Mozzie, I still have it even, but I do prefer the Taipan.

If you can find an fibreglass or glass/kelvar Taipan for a price you can afford then I say go for it. My personal preference was to build one, and I'm glad I did, I'm extremely happy with the result, and I can sail around with the factory built boats no worries at all.

An A-Class is a totally different beast. It is a true single handed boat and they are fragile, but awesome to sail in any breeze.

If in QLD, look for a Nacra 16 Square as there a a heap of them around and racing. They are a great boat to sail and unbelievable in a blow as well.

Have a look at your local club and see what they are sailing there because if you are going to race, it is always good to be against the same boats. An advantage of the Nacra's and Hobie's is they are factory built boats and basically all the same except for their age.

QLD is very strong with the Nacra's 16's and 4.5's growing fast as well.

Archived