F18 and F16HP

My main concern at this point in time is that several of our regular spinnaker boats are talking about pulling up stumps and not returning next season.

If they do it will be in a 16 square, 4.9 Taipan or A class (all strong fleets at the moment).

There reason is not yardsticks but the push of the F18 and the total neglect of there own fleet.

Last season at HYC we regularly had 2 Tornados, 3 x 5.8's and 2 x 5.7's all with spinnakers as well as some very quick A class and enjoyed great racing.

WHO IS GOING TO BE THERE NEXT YEAR??????

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walker,

Is the reason for the "pulling up of stumps" really due to the "F18 push" or is it because their boats are too hard to sail with spinnakers? Is it because the spinnaker does not add enough to the boats performance to make the extra effort worthwhile? Is it because the addition of a spinnaker to their class has caused argument and division? Is it because they are "line honours" sailors and they now have to fight for it?

Who is "neglecting their fleets"?

If they give away their spinnakers ( how could you go back anyway) will they still sail their standard boats? Why not?

Mate, you can't blame F18 for other classes problems. Australia wide, the introduction of the Tiger has strengthened the standard Hobie 18 class.

• 10 years later...

Just trawling old posts and looking at the case 10 years on my how things have changed.

Trying to figure out who HooD is I sailed cats in Tas for 18 years I think I might know who you are.

F18s are awsome and are all the go for the best cat racing in the country.

F16 Viper now an olympic class they seem to be the quickest F16 in the world but they are the heaviest amazing how design can over come weight

I agree with how the cat sailing scene has changed in the past 10 years. It was probably healthier then in terms of numbers of boats on the water. Hull and sail design has certainly progressed in that time.

One point though, The Viper is not an Olympic class. It was entered in the recent selection trials but was not selected. The Nacra 17 was selected for 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

In 2008 I became the first and still only F18 sailing in Tassie. If you have sailed at Lauderdale or a TASCAT event in the past 15 years then the chances are pretty high we have met.

the main reason I changed was to get away from the nacra 5.8 and the rather ordinary backup service we were getting. could not be happier with AHPC!

my friends call me dazz, not hard to find :)

phoca_thumb_l_pennant%207%20099.jpg

• 1 month later...
There is an inherant flaw in the class rules for the F-18's, That is there may be a minimum weight (180kilos) but I bet the rules dont mention where the weight is located.

It will not be long before 100-120 kilo boats appear, with lead fitted near the center of the boat to make up the extra weight. These boats will be far superior to the older boats, in terms of speed and handling.

It will be just like the A-Class is now, half the speed coming from skill and experience, the other from having the best boat in the fleet.

I dont think that it is a bad thing, it allows for development and personal preference, but your kidding yourself if you think a 3 season old f-18 will keep up with the current models. (much like a 3 season old A-Clas could win a worlds-not)

as for strenght being an issue, you only have to look at all the taipans and tornado's that carry kites now, and none of them come close to 180kilos.

I think I will watch the f-18's develop, and see how they get on after a couple of years, in the mean time I think a kite for the 5.8 is on the cards smile.gif

I disagree with the older model keeping up with new models,I'm not setting out to be rude at all but just disagree,I own a early $1200 dollar busted arse 5.8,and after learning to sail/tune it we keep up with the newer boats in our class and sometimes sail over them,we are yet to win but have progressed and are being noticed as serious competitors,bit more time and new sails we will be right up there on a old boat,so maybe this could be the case with a f18 I think.if you are a good sailor you shouldn't have a problem,just the same as you can't go buy the fastest boat and be an instant winner on the back of that.

Archived