where do you buy your sailing bits?

QB2

Some very interesting comments just the same and a healthy discussion ensures I am hopefully somewhat up to date.

I still have to get to the stage where I get AYF membership/insurance/club membership so I can race. Thats another can of worms.

Originally posted by Village Idiot:

Only a fool would sail a boat of this type in waters that are 7 to 9 degrees!

I've just come back from Lake Eucumbeen,snowy mountains up behind Canberra (where my parents live and the water temp was between 4 and 7 degrees,with temps like this you got minutes to live ,there's no frigin way known to man I'd been sailing on a catamaran which could capsize in those conditions ,even with a dry suit!!!

You call me gun ho ,well yes I take calculated risks (we all do everyday ,crossing the road is a risk,driving a car is a risk......)however I don't believe I put myself in any real great risk especially sailing in extreme cold or extremly windy conditions.I believe where I sail I have more chance of surviving and swimming with out a straight jacket on..

I have sailed many years in waters as cold and colder, in the middle of winter in inland NSW. Wearing a Dry Suit with plent of layers underneath, you will be quiet comfortable. I used a Wet n Dry dry suit, 2 pairs of full body thermal underware, 2 woolen jumbers and jeans, wet suit boots, beenie and was more than comfortable in the worst conditions.

Originally posted by HooD:

Im still trying to work out how the skiff boys are getting away without them!

They are not and never have been affiliated with ISAF. Rebel class since its inception more than 100 years ago. They also do not carry sail numbers and could not give a rats about what ISAF thinks of them calling their World Championships a "World Championship"

Originally posted by tornado:

I have sailed many years in waters as cold and colder, in the middle of winter in inland NSW. Wearing a Dry Suit with plent of layers underneath, you will be quiet comfortable. I used a Wet n Dry dry suit, 2 pairs of full body thermal underware, 2 woolen jumbers and jeans, wet suit boots, beenie and was more than comfortable in the worst conditions.

yeh in your case you would be crazy not to wear a pfd if you fell in with all that gear on you'd go to the bottom of the lake like a brick.

where I live in Brisbane in summer I sometimes go for a blast after work on a sailboard or on my International contender and all I wear is a pair of board shorts and a rashy or a t shirt and a trap harness ,not even boots...air temp between 25-35 ,water temp usually 24-26 ,depends were you live and the circumstances your in ,I not saying that I never were a pfd ,I were them whenever I race just sometimes it worries me about getting pinned under a boat or sail or not being able to catch a overturned boat,I could be 3-4 miles offshore on my own and if the boat pisses off and I can't catch it I'm screwed,bugger swimming 4 miles back to shore in Moreton bay home of the tiger shark!!

Mr Medwell you softy!!!!

you know we sailed a week ago in the Derwent just after there was a snow fall to sea level! there was fresh snow water flowing into the river the water temp would have been not much over freezing and the air temp under 10 degrees! 5 cats raced that day, what did we wear?? dry suits??? NO! normal wesuits with wetsuit hats!

did any of us freeze or drown?? of course not, one boat even went for a swim! everyone was wearing PFD's of course.

As for the 18 foot skiffs, wouldnt being a rebel class narrow thier opportunity to compete? most regatta's ask for a silver card membership in order to enter, tends to help with public liabilty.

Originally posted by HooD:

Mr Medwell you softy!!!!

you know we sailed a week ago in the Derwent just after there was a snow fall to sea level! there was fresh snow water flowing into the river the water temp would have been not much over freezing and the air temp under 10 degrees! 5 cats raced that day, what did we wear?? dry suits??? NO! normal wesuits with wetsuit hats!

did any of us freeze or drown?? of course not, one boat even went for a swim! everyone was wearing PFD's of course.

As for the 18 foot skiffs, wouldnt being a rebel class narrow thier opportunity to compete? most regatta's ask for a silver card membership in order to enter, tends to help with public liabilty.

Din't mention I was given my 1st wetsuit as a young boy by a senior sailor after falling of my laser in these conditions, wearing only footy shorts and a PFD, twince. Both times draged out with hyperthermia. For quiet a while, this was my standard sailing uniform. Grew up quickly after that and soon bought a dry suit.

As for the 12, 16 and 18 skiff guys, when they race, they only race in skiff regattas. Also plent of skiff sailors are members of the AYF, but the class is not.

I too sail in Tassie and have had a old rainbow come in on top of me while i was out on trapeze, i got caught in the jib and deck ropes which didn't allow me to surface for about 2 minutes.

my father had to grab my legs after duck diving to use his bouyancy from his life jacket and mine to get me up enough to get a breathe to allow me more time to get the ropes un-tangled.

Now i personally think it was the harness (which was very old) and life jacket that put me in this perdicament, but on the other had it was the bouyancy from the two life jackets (mine and my fathers) that is the reason while im writing this now.

I never go out without one because i firmly believe i would not be here today seeing after i was extremely exhausted after the episode that it was the life jacket that gave me enough time to get some energy back to climb back on the boat and sail to shore.

I too sail windsurfers and also use a mid sized bouyancy vest that allows me to go under abit so not to get trapped after one of those classic spills we all have smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Archived