What's next?

berny

Ok then, so what's on next season? What has the hierarchy got happening for us hungry cat sailors? What direction is the sport (cat racing) taking for the next 10 years? How are we going to get more bums on cats or is it to be just more of the same? How about the ACF and/or CRA-NSW?

Bern

Bern,

I think the idea of a 14 footers regatta is sensational, and if we could hold a big one in Sydney would be even better.

Finding the right location is also important, and also getting the word out there to as many people as possible that they are welcome even if they don't like racing.

I have now written a detailed letter to the Commodore of BSC and they have their meeting next week, so I will be interested in what response we get.

There is also no reason that we can't have our own picnic days there or at Clifton Gardens, where both locations are great for families and sailing.

Another venue to do this is Pittwater and also Clontarf.

I am sure there are other great parks around that we could do this from.

Matt

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 21 May 2004).]

Both Koonawarra bay SC on Lake Illawarra and more recently Mannering Pk. SC on Lake Macquarie hold two day 14ft cat regattas. This last season was the first at Mannering Pk. but sadly they held it on the same w/e in February as K/Bay have done for the past ten odd years. The K/bay regatta is excellent, with onsite camping and full club and canteen facilities. Lake Illawarra is a pretty decent place to sail too. Now if Mannering Pk. could be coaxed into holding theirs in say November......................

AND KURNELL COULD ORGANISE ONE IN MARCH/APRIL..............

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 25 May 2004).]

How about this;

There are several clubs in the Sydney, Woollongong, Newcastle area at which 14ft cats sail regularly. If some of these clubs could be coerced into holding a 14ft regatta on either Sadty or Sunday during the year we could probably have a different location to sail each week.

Or we could set up a roster which would nominate a different club each week for all 14ft cat sailors to attend. Rotating the 14ft fleet would ensure all clubs were supported and you'd have a decent fleet every week to sail with. It'd also give the big boats a rest from having to contend with the 14ft toy boys smile.gif.

Now if each club had different championship round weeks nominated, no one would miss out on competing for their club champs.

I think at the beginning of the season we could probably see what days each club will be running their championship rounds and see if there is the possibility of organising a rotating, travellers championship for 14ft cats. That sounds pretty cool no?

Ok, at CRSC there's 28 Sadty race days. Of those 28 days, seven are rounds of the club Champ. That leaves 21 race days spare. If three other clubs ran a similar calendar but with their C/camp rounds on different days we'd be able to rotate between four different venues sailing at your home club once a month. Lets see, four cat clubs within reasonable distance, mmmmmmm CRSC, Kurnell, any others with 14's?

Bern

Kurnell in the 03/04 season had a non point day and sailed the sprint course which was basically our comp "layday", minimal boats sailed on this day.

This season coming 04/05 has not been decided yet, but if you get in early now and speak with the racing secretary he may be able to accomadate a round for the 14 footers on a similar day in the new season or gladly accomadate the 14 footers on a non club championship day.

Newly elected race sec. is David Hart and has a email address, found by clicking on his name in the organistion window on the kcc website.

Hope this assists you in organising comp.

cheers

d

Which club do you sail with David? I ask because if you sail Kurnell, it wouldn't be difficult for you to organise with David Heart to pencil in a picnic day there for 14ft cats. I think I can organise Concord I'm just not sure how many of the guys would be prepared to go to Kurnell for the day. I've asked Graham Heap to do an E-mail ask.

Does Kurnell sail Satdy or Sundy? Anyone?

Bern

SORRY

As I am moving house I may not myself be sailing at Kurnell next year.

Sundays is their normal day, usually starting at 1pm with 3 races in the arvo (that is what they did this year).

I expect costs would be the same as a visitor and the results could be filtered for the 14 footers i guess.

It wouldn't be hard to organise with pt kembla & Koonawarra as well?

To do the same thing, with maybe an extra payment to cover the trophy or prizes.

any other contacts?

Maybe contact Tony At pt kembla

d

Archived