Which Boat?

cruiser

Currently the boats that are pure f16 are:

Blade F16 (Both the Formala Catamarans (aus) and Vector Works (usa) versions))

Taipan F16 (Different to the Taipan 4.9+spin)

Viper F16

Stealth F16 (British Boat)

Falcon F16 (in production by Vector works in USA)

G-Cat F16 (found in USA or Eur im not sure)

and Home Built/Designed F16s.

Those boats race as F16. The F16 association also has an Open F16 division, which allows grandfathered and dispensated f16s such as the taipan 4.9+spin and the Mosquito+spin to race in the F16 competition, but with their own boat specific yardsticks (80 for the mossie+kite for example). As far as i know, the only aussie boats that qualify for the open f16 division are the taipan 4.9, mosquito, possibly the cobra (all with kites of course). I dont think any nacra boats are close enough to the rule box to fit into the open division, maybe a nacra 5.0 or 4.5 with a kite might. But i have no idea. Maybe nacra will follow up from their f18, and build and nacra f16 as well, but that doesnt really help you at the moment.

[This message has been edited by MCGriffith (edited 23 March 2009).]

I recently graduated from a NACRA 4.5 to a Taipan 4.9 so I can give you some comments from my experience.

The NACRA 4.5 is a more versatile boat and is less complicated. I have raced it in a mixed fleet but always finish last against the quicker boats. But I have sometimes one races on corrected time. If there are other 4.5s about then racing would be more interesting. The 4.5 is a good recreational boat and can carry 2 adults and 2 kids with ease. The unclutered trampoline and boomless sail add to the family appeal. I weigh 75kg and have rigged, sailed and righted the 4.5 by myself.

The TAIPAN is more race oriented and more complicated to sail. The feature that attracted me is ability to sail cat rigged when by myself or sloop if I have a crew.

I adore the Taipan for racing but miss the 4.5 for family outings.

Thank you very much for the responses above, it is now becoming clear what i might have to do.

As you might have seen, I've put up the question about using a Nacra 14sq to get my sailing back up to speed. I've noticed everyone has owned another boat before stepping up to the F16. I have raced Lasers, Fireballs and cats occasionally, but not for at least 10 years. Ohhh, until last weekend at the lake, when i crewed on a lightweight sharpie....

I'm a little worried about spending 20-25k on a boat which i'll have on its side more than going fast.

Done a little reasearch and the 14sq is maxed out on my weight (85kg) which will be hopefully enough to cover all my mistakes and i can learn the ins and outs of Kites on something that i wont be running over everyone else with.

BTW, i didn't get to see the Inter17 nacra that has just arrived in Cairns, I'll be up the lake next Sunday to see how it looks. I'll try and get some photos to post here, in the meantime, and your probably getting sick of me, but here goes, does anyone have an opinion or experience with the 14sq and will it be a suitable trainer for a couple of seasons?

[This message has been edited by cruiser (edited 23 March 2009).]

Hi, you have talked about my Taipan F16 as a possible purchase.

10 years mite be a long time but you never loose the ability to sail.

A Taipan will see you further into you sailing than a nacra 14sq. Purchase what you can afford. Not sure if it's a good idea to buy a boat you no your going to sell.Lots of hassel for no real gain.

Danny

Danny

G'day everyone, I'm hunting down a 14sq!!! I feel that they are an ideal traing boat for a single handed spinnaker boat and when i'm finished, i could try to sell it or donate to the club as a trainer to try and get the little dudes into cats, they are the future after all.

This will hopefully make a good platform, and if it's possible, and I'm good enough, head to Hervey Bay with it for a taste of the Nationals. It's my old stomping ground as i grew up on Fraser Island at Eurong).

Some would say that I'm wasting time and Money, but I'm only in my 30's and have plenty sailing left in me yet. The 14sq will hopefully see me into the cat scene without serious injury or death to myself and others around me on the course. And i can learn this art of single spinnaker, which will be the first of many big hurdles to master and get down to a fine method with little mistakes.

I'm really looking forward to learning what everyone here has been enjoying so much!!!!

I would like to again thank everyone who has helped me along the way, especially Danny, who took the time to call me and get to know me. I look forward to racing you in an F16 in a couple of years mate!!!!

Thank you also to those who posted responses. I have taken everything that all of you have said on board, and will remember the advice that i have been given.

This is certainly more helpful than the Laser scene, and it is a credit to everyone who has tried to help a novice.

Thank you all kindly,

Chocko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Originally posted by topscan:

Chocko,

Lots of questions but here goes…

Yes I can rig the 4.5 myself, my smallish daughter can rig it on her own.

Handling, rigging, righting is much more about technique than weight and raw strength.

(Righting is an important skill to practise and learn, you should do that when help and / or safety boat is avaible, like on club racing days.)

Yes I have done overnighters camping on my 4.5 even solo. When I get enough of ”society” I take my 4.5 or sea kayak and go for spin, usually just one night. But I have done longer trips. If I go sailing or paddling will depend on where I go , weather forecast etc

I am in Townsville not far from Cairns…. You have both the Port Douglas sail club and CYC close that’s great. And you have “small fleets“ of F18 and 4.5 and others close by. I know members from both CYC and port Douglas , trust me they are all friendly. If you make contact I am sure they will help you out and even try to draft you to there class! Generally the F18 people are more focused on competing where a clubs like Port Douglas Sail club is relay like an extended family, a few adults learning a bunch of kids and teenagers to sail cats, a great cause. Don’t know anybody up at Tinaroo but I believe they have a regatta on in the first week of May. If you got a cat by then tow it up and join in, if not go for a drive and check out the different cats, if you ask I am sure someone will take you for sail…?

I have not seen a 570 in Townsville, but I don’t know everything… If there is one a 4 hours drive seems a small price to pay for a good look and/or test sail if you can make contact with the owner.

When you contemplating racer or cruiser also consider single handler or double handler or both.

Will you always have a crew to go sailing with if you pick a larger cat?

I also have a F18 but my problem is that I can’t always find a crew to go sailing with.

When I sail two up I usually go with my daughter or wife, if I mention the F18 neither looks happy, if I suggest the 4.5 I get smiley faces.

As a consequents the 4.5 get used and the F18 not. I think that my ”girls” find the F18 hard going and outside there comfort zone, that combined with my low F18 skills probably don’t induce confidence either, but that’s just my situation.

Also like to mention there is regattas on at Mission Beach in October, Airlie Beach in September and Townsville in July all good opportunities to check out cats in our region.

Cheers

Chris

Chris ,

Are you still looking for a crew on the F18 , I'm a Townsville local been here 3 years , I've just finished restoring my 20yr old Int Moth skiff . I'm looking for a permament ride /race if your interested . I'm 6ft and 100 kgs . Contact me on 0425267756 . Thanks Ian

[This message has been edited by IanS (edited 09 June 2009).]

Ian,

Buggar sold my F18 a couple of weeks ago….sorry.

It did not get used often enough, boat now live on Magnetic island in care of an enthusiastic pair.

I am now sailing a 4.5 with light blue sails, come and say g’day if you spot me.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...

Archived