Stepping Mast -Marie4.3

DevineWind

Hello people -I'm new here, i have just bought a Marie cat 4.3 - Can anyone tell me if there is a special knack to stepping the mast?? as it only relys on you lifting the mast and trying to locate the pin into the step at the same time ( Bloody arwkward) so is there i knack i should know about :)as i have always sailed trailer sailers (mono) but im itching to get this cat out! i need the adrenalin rush !! Hope some one can help

CHEERS KEV

Go to the rigging tips forum to see how most Mari sailors do it.

It is pretty awkward. As you've found out tho there's not much choice but connect at least two of your shrouds, walk the mast up and lift it up into the casting base.

Either walk up from the bow or lift the mast from the stern and try to keep the base on or in the casting. I used the vang rope or shackles to fasten the mast base to a loop of rope around the front beam to keep it on or close to the casting, that way it wouldn't kick up

Hi Devinewind, If you go to "Rigging Tips and Tricks" in the catsailor forum and look under a thread "Best method for raising and lowering the mast" it has a great description on the best way to do it. Having a slope and running the boat across the downward slope and connecting the forestay and the highside sidestay is the way to go. Hope this helps. Like with anything, the more practice you get, the easier it becomes.good luck

Hi I have just bought a second hand 4.3m Maricat and am just learning but I have already made a removable rig to raise the mast simply, safely and without effort its part of being independant I guess were is the best place to find out the names for all the different bits of rigging and boat bits?

G'day Greg sounds as if this jig might be worth hearing about, try looking through the rigging tips - www.nacra.com.au these guys at brisbane cat they build the maricat - i was talking to them last week they told me they are still building them as i was after a new tramp - one piece tramp for $368 not to bad i reckon .. even if you email them Greg im sure they will help you out with anything you want to know as they seem ready to help when they can !

Cheers Kev (happy sailing )

Archived