portside shroud anchor point crack

geoffo

Noticed quite severe cracking in the hull just under where the portside stay attaches. There is quite a bit of movement when I try to flex where the two pieces of the hull are joined. As its impossible to get inside the hull to reinforce, I thought aht I might take the gelcoat off back to the fibreglass, and apply reinforcing over the crack, and up to where the hulls meet. Also attached a longer piece of stainless steele to distribute the load on the hull over a larger area. Would appreciate any other suggestions. Is this something I can safely tackle?

What you have suggested should work ok although usually a section is cut out of the hull so that section can be glassed and reinforced from the inside (also looks neater). reinforcing from the outside could work ok though.

My original boat actually gave way on the side stays tearing out a section from the hull and deck so it is best not to leave it. Ended up with additional damage when the mast came down breaking battens etc. and damaging the sail also in the strong breeze.

If you consider a professional job and are located on the Central Coast I would recommend the boat doctor, John Kersh 043591460 or 0438591460. Also there is Jim Buckland who stocks many spares for Maricats and does repairs on 02 43931455.

There is generally someone in each area that can do this type of repair.

hope this helps !

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the hull similarly to as I suggested and have taken it out in 25knot plus winds a few times since. No movement in stays at all. Removed some of the side rubber and replaced it with 60cm long c section of aluminium, bolted through in 4 places, beside original 4. Placed 4 layers of fibreglass over crack and using masking tape shaped to a neat rectangular shape. Looks like part of the boat.

Archived