Colour of hulls

dexterstu

I used 2 methods for this on Sweet16 which is a very old boat. First I used 600 grade wet and dry on the non tread parts of the deck and a scrubbing brush with gumption on the tread. After that used a cutting compound to buff the decks and they came up ok.

I did go further after that and had the decks resprayed in 2 pack. The painted finish resists UV better than gelcoat. Good if you leave the boat uncovered.

There are chemical cleaners that also work on gelcoat rather than the manual effort of sanding. You can get appropriate gelcoat restorer from a marine supplier.

Gel coat restorers won't work on his orange decks, they are mostly made up of hydrochloric acid and have no effect on these oxides. The "daggy" finish comes from the surface of the gel coat oxidising over time, and it is a very hard surface that will not come off without "wet rubbing". What he has to do is to remove about one to one and a half microns of the oxidated surface then by polishing with a coarse "cut and polish" compound with a lambs wool buff at slow revs he will bring the surface back beautifully. The "deeper" colours show the oxidisation the worse as it appears as a "chalkyness". On white it isn't noticed for far longer than on deeper colours even though they all oxidise at the same rate, Your right with the two pack, it will stop the UV light damaging the coloured surface.

• 1 month later...
Guest darcy

Oxcalic acid, ( Diggers rust and stain remover), can be purchased at most hardware stores and will remove the oxidised surface. then apply a few coats of penetrol marine (most boat shops), just wipe on wipe of. I have found this the easiest and cheapest way to revive faded gel coat.

i have not long bought a maricat which was white and had the yellow patches all over it i used boat acid and i talk of all the yellow and revived the white colour really well. not sure if this will work with the colour of your decks though.but you could always give it a go it will make the rest of your hulls look great

Archived