What to look for in a used Mari

QB2

I don't think a square-top works because the rules state that the sail must fit in the limits of the class drawings. and on the point of sailmakers this is what the rules state,

"All sails shall comply with the Maricat Association specifications and shall be supplied by a Maricat Association nominated sail maker. A list of approved sail makers is available from the class measurer."

My squaretop cannot be used in association events and has never been intended for that.

It is a very fast sail compared to the standard sailplan, it has less battens and is made from carbon... so it will not measure in. Square tops cannot be used even if made from Dacron as they don't measure in to the association drawings. basically the profile shape remains the same for all maricat sails whether vertical or horizontal cut.

Hi all, on sail numbers versus boat numbers, I just pulled my 4.8 apart and on each hull under the rear beam location is the number "038" written in texta marker. Now I have two sails one of which is "038" and the other is "052". The 038 sail is a sky blue colour and the 052 sail is a golden yellow, I seem to remember that all the earlier 4.8's were all sky blue, The yellow sail has a makers patch on it stating that it was made for Mariglass, so appears to be a legal sail, both sails came with the boat when I bought it. regards and a happy new year

Archived