Help please

Pete

I need to remove the rudder gudgeons from one hull of my 1981 Maricat. With the ss metal threads sitting in aluminium, they are not going to want to move. Has anyone had any success with removing the metal threads from an old boat? I am thinking that the angle grinder may be called on again.

The hull in question does have a rear hatch fitted, and the other hull doesn't, so it could be a transom with a history of being a pain.

Anyone with sensible suggestions?

Is that a SS flathead screw feeding into either an aluminium plate or onto a nut on the plate?

I seem to remember on my old mari that rudder fittings were a mongrel of a job, with lots of WD40 requiered before I went to use a screwdriver and a hammer to try to loosen them before I eventually drilled out the screws and inserted new ones.

does that help?

Guest Happy

My thoughts for you is to cut the heads of the bolts of and drill the threads out and then retap a new thread. Make sure you use a antiseaze past on the new threads.

To drill out old thread use a smaller drill then progress to the size you are going to tap a new thread.

Guest The Rob

I got my screws out by mig welding a small bolt to the end of the scew. you only need a couple of tacks on it and you will find that the heat generated through the crew helps to unbind it from the thread. Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest darcy

if all else fails, you can remove the cast alloy backing plate by grinding the heads off the bolts then punch the plate loose and remove through the inspection port. I did one a few weeks ago and it came out quite easily. Ring 0243591729 if unsure. Good luck.

Archived