2006 Nationals

ZAX

The venue for the 2006 Nationals is not yet final but under discussion right now following formal letters from the Association Secretary, Judy, to Toukley Sailing Club.

Initially we hoped to have the event at Tanilba and be supportive of the new and growing fleet there.

Now the focus is to have the event at Toukley with the Arrow and Arafura cats. Since the venue is already booked by the Arrow Association and they are likely to get 30+ boats there is some concern from them that there may not be sufficient rescue boats on the water to cover the Arrows and Arafura's plus a possible 30 Maricats. The canteen overcrowding has also been mentioned as a concern.

Also the starting sequence, The Arrows have recently moved to the standard 5,4,1 starting sequence as per the current rule book. We use a 3 minute starting sequence for the Maricats.

Would we also be concerned if the format of our courses was changed for this event to fit in with the Arrows?

This is still being discussed, what are peoples thoughts on this?

cheers!

We sopke with the organiser of the long jetty regatta and he said they would consider running the nationals,It is a top spot for rigging and there is plenty of accommodation in the area. My wife said that if I am out sailing she has to be happy with the accommodation. The weed getting out is a bit anoying but it is the same at Toukly. At least once sailing there is not as much weed it that area at Long Jetty.

I realy need a place and some dates so I can arrange aproprate accommodation or I won't be going. (JUST ASK THE WIFE)

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, will get onto checking out Long Jetty. If it does start to take too long are people happy enough to have it at the reserve location which is Mannering Park?

Do we make some cutoff point for when this should be announced?

cheers !

Guest Sea Hag

I am not worried where it is as long as we have time to arrange some where to stay. Lets face it. that time of year is booked well in advance.

It's not going to matter anyway. I am going to give you guya a caning.

The Team from Tanilba, currently the fastest growing Maricat Fleet, have made an offer to host the 2006 Maricat Nationals.

The dates for this are different from the original proposal, however this may allow some of our interstate maricats and those that sail other boats such as Nacra's to compete with us. What are people's thoughts?

Tanilba Bay Sailing Club proposal for the 2006 Nationals.

Dec 26th Registration , Invitation race 230pm

Dec 27th 3 heats

Dec 28th 3 Heats

Dec 29th 3 heats

Dec 30th 1 heat in the mooring

Dec 30th Presentation in the evening.

Camping at the club $20 per site per night

Fees $80per boat. Minimum of $2,000.00

25 boats = $2000.00

That is a busy time of year for me. I would prefer it to be the usual dates. maybe tookly is the way to go. Any news from them.

Toukley is booked by the Arrow & Arafura Association at that time. We have been in discussions with the Association and they have reservations about the number of Rescue craft available to the larger fleet and canteen facilities.

Association members asked Long Jetty Sailing club (same lake as Toukley) about the possibility of hosting the event during a recent regatta there. I have followed this up and am waiting on a formal response from the club. This would be held at the usual time/dates.

Mannering Park Sailing Club are also able to host the event at the usual dates as a backup and if members want this.

Originally it was hoped the event could be hosted at Tanilba because it has the newest and fastest growing fleet of Maricats... maybe not yet the fastest maricats though smile.gif

Hopefully we will be able to anounce the venues for 2006 Nationals, 2006 State Titles and 2007 National Titles at about the same time ! This should make it easier for people to book leave and accomodation in advance for next year... since we are late with bookings this time.

hey guys

i think tanilba is definatly the go. the dates may be different and a bit harder to organise but we offer camping at our club, we have a caravan park and a motel. we also have great waters for sailing on.( no weed),we have a great grass rigging area, and everybody here is willing to put in the time to make it a great reggata.

Guys,

The Committee has some concerns for those travelling from Canberra or the South Coast on Boxing Day to arrive in time for a 2.30pm invitation race, the tight race program & our need to have 25 boats at Christmas to cover the $2000 fees. boat numbers have steadily declined at Christmas. What happens if we don't get 25 boats?

Anyone know if the Maricat 5.0's are attending ? That would help the numbers.

The committee have asked if Taniba would consider running the 2006 Easter titles as an alternative to Christmas. The dates are 14 -16 April.

well guys the time is coming closer and closer and still no venue. wayne was in tanilba before the port stephens reggata and im sure he would have checked out our sailing club so if he sees this maybe he should put a reply in and tell you how good of a venue it would be

cheers revolution

....... maybe we should have a cut of date to when the nationals are to be announced

Posting this as feedback from the committee. The cutoff date for a venue decision is end of this month. There are 3 people from Canberra that cannot attend if we run the event at Tanilba because of the dates.

The traffic north of Sydney on Boxing Day is always horrific. I understand the reluctance of our Canberra members to agree to a Dec 26 start. Whilst it is only the Invitation race those of us who have not sailed at the venue may appreciate the opportunity to have a test drive. I suggest we consider shortening the regatta to 8 races as follows:

Dec 26th Early Registration - 5 to 6 pm

Dec 27th Final Registration 9 to 10 am, Briefing 10.30 am, Invitation 11.30 am, Heat 1 2.30 pm (Course A)

Dec 28th 3 Heats (2*Course B, 1*Course A)

Dec 29th 3 heats (2*Course B, 1*Course A)

Dec 30th 1 heat in the morning (Course A)

Dec 30th Presentation in the evening.

I am comfortable paying the club $80 per boat. However, we will need to charge a little more to cover other costs. I believe we have enough trophies on hand but we will have to buy plaques, novelties, gifts, stationery,etc.

This proposal allows more travel time and provides 4 short and 4 long races. Personally I feel that whilst the format we have used in recent years has been flexible, it has impeded the opportunities to recover from an early mistake or make tactical decisions in a longer race. I also believe that some sailors would welcome a break after 2 back-to-back races, rather than face 3 or 4 races back-to-back if we were to persist with 10 heats. What do others think?

My first preference is Tanilba Bay, but my preferred alternative would be Mannering Park.

Regards to all

Rick

Archived