sailing in the brisbane area

brad7970

hi - i've just moved back to australia and have gotten my hands on the old maricat that my dad and i used to sail on when i was a kid. as soon as i do a few repairs on it i will be ready to put it back in the water next weekend (after a break of maybe 15 years) and i can't wait. In the searck for parts, i found this site and its great but a bit of a bummer because i can't seem to browse the members list to check out who is local here in brisbane. I'd really like to sail with other people and know where they sail etc etc - i've never sailed around brisbane so it would be good to get in touch with anyone....

Hi Brad,

There are several sailing clubs around that cater for off the beach boats.

They are Cleavland yacht club, Humpybong Yacht Club and MYCQ at Manly. They would all welcome to there club. HYC has a maricat of there own which anyone can use if they are a member.

Also Next week is HYC At Redcliffe youth Championships. You are most welcome to come down and have a look at how we run.

For getting parts for your boat contact Brisbane catamaran centre at Wacol.

thanks for all that, i might just come and have a look next weekend. what sort of racing program do they run at Humpybong for cat sailors? and what is the sailing day - i'm guessing saturday, because we went for a look around there today and there was only one guy out on a nacra so it was pretty quiet.... i'm guessing too that in summer its a different story as well. thanks for the tip about the brisbane catamaran centre. i checked out the website and it looks great, although my wife seems less than excited....

Welcome back from the brink of domestic oblivion !!!! Sailing is THE sport to be in(trust me .... I have tried a few sports)One GREAT place to sail and store your boat for a reasonable charge very close to Brissy and right on the lake is at Lake Samsonvale. Check out the website at www.lswsa.org.au

Great fun, great venue for social sailing, racing and secure storage of your boat rigged and ready to go. Plenty of people to give you a hand, advice and direct you to reasonably priced parts. Check it out and have a great time at Humpybong....another fantastic venue for sailing !!!

PS: message from my wife to yours .... don't panic !

Hi Brad,

Great to hear that you are keen to sail,

I am currently with the Cleveland Yacht Club, but considering a move for next season, what side of Brissie are you on - North or South? Cleveland is having a sailing day and BBQ on the 28th August - no racing - just a chance to get your boat wet before the season starts on the 4th September. We are sailing from the Cleveland Yacht Club to Coochie Island. you are welcome if it suits you.

The invitation is open to everyone here, just let me know so I can have plenty of snags and drinks on the island for the BBQ.

Wherever you end up sailing I'm sure that everyone will make you feel most welcome.

Whilst there are no Maris' sailing at the CYC we have Hobies,Nacras and of course my mighty Calypso to give you some company.

thanks for all the replies to my posting. tomorrow i'm paying a visit to the bris. catamaran centre for some shopping and i reckon we will go do some sailing in redcliffe on wednesday or thursday - i'm fully stoked and can't wait. i was living in germany for the past 3 years and did some sailing there but its a bit hard in winter when the lakes etc are all frozen over. and summer isn't much better when you need licences and be a member of a club to even look at a small dinghy.... anyway, thats another story. i'm living in indooroopilly now but we plan on buying a house in the redcliffe area by xmas if the bank plays ball. i wouldn't mind checking it out in clevland but i reckon the clubs in the north will be better for me. wouldn't mind checking out the samsonvale club too, but it seems that you can only get past the gate if you are a member, so 'checking it out' may proove to be difficult....... i'm in the merchant navy as well, so i have to go back to sea for 9 weeks at the end of the month - i'll miss the start of the season :-( but at least it will be in full swing by the time i come back in november.

Hi Brad,

If you feel like a trip South after Christmas you may wish to consider joining in for the Maricat Nationals.

Monday 2 Jan 2006 Invitation Race in the afternoon

Monday 2 Jan 2006 Welcome BBQ

Tues 3 - Friday 6 Jan 2006 Variety of short & long courses between 8-12 races (yet to be programmed)

Fri 6 Jan 2006 Presentation dinner (venue to be decided)

went sailing up at redcliffe yesterday and had a really great time. the boat went really well and considering a 15 year period of inaction its still in great nic. my crew (wife..) wasn't so excited - it was her first time sailing on a cat and i suppose i could have said more than "you'll get a bit wet" - my idea of "a bit wet" and hers are obviously 2 very different things. after we wrung out the clothes, the real complaining started - the tide had gone out a bit by the time we came back in, and we had to carry the boat up the beach a fair way..... anyway - i was told that if i want a regular weekday crew i would need to invest in a beach roller and possibly some wet-suit-like clothing. like i say though, my perception was totally different and i loved every minute. we'll be addressing the issue of having to carry the boat up the beach as soon as possible - see my new posting - as i really like the weekday sailing when i am on leave.

it is amazing how our idea of fun and the fairer sexes idea of fun is not the same...but be careful ... my wife and I had a barney aboutssailing in our first week of being married and it is taken 20 years before she has allowed me to buy another boat ...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived