Offside Bow low rider

cat scratch fever

When on a good run i notice that the bow of the offside hull probably rides around 6-8" from the surface of the water. All the photos i see of cats sailing seem to have their hulls high or even lifting out of the water. I thought this would be indicating loss of power, however, as I see so many riding apparently high I am wondering if I have adjust my set up - generally 2 up, main and jib, combined sailor weight around 170kgs.

All advice gratefully accepted

ps - I'm always concerned that the bow is going to dive or catch an edge - not much room for adjustment.

Thanks

JC

typically we try to have the windward hull just clear of the water if possible upwind and reaching to reduce drag and minimise loss of power from the sail by not lifting too high. This is just the target... I weigh 97kg and sail cat rigged so not often lifting a hull.

Sloop rigged at 170kg is difficult and as the whole boat is lower in the water makes nosediving more frequent, but your target should be to just clear the windward hull from the water.. having it just skimming the surface of the water is ideal. The photos you see of the boats flying a hull are just for the photos and not for any speed advantage (when not doing wildthing).

Down wind typically we try to keep the boats flat if trying to run square as this also reduces drag on this point of sail. Someone may wish to get into the topic of lifting a hull downwind (wildthing) at this point?

cheers !

typically we try to have the windward hull just clear of the water if possible upwind and reaching to reduce drag and minimise loss of power from the sail by not lifting too high. This is just the target... I weigh 97kg and sail cat rigged so not often lifting a hull.

Sloop rigged at 170kg is difficult and as the whole boat is lower in the water makes nosediving more frequent, but your target should be to just clear the windward hull from the water.. having it just skimming the surface of the water is ideal. The photos you see of the boats flying a hull are just for the photos and not for any speed advantage (when not doing wildthing).

Down wind typically we try to keep the boats flat if trying to run square as this also reduces drag on this point of sail. Someone may wish to get into the topic of lifting a hull downwind (wildthing) at this point?

cheers !

Archived