ripped my jib

vaalbara

Hey there guys and girls

I was sailing the other week off Nobbys in Newcastle in heavy wind and I had to furl my jib, anyway the wind caught it at the top and it was going nuts, flapping very violently.Anyway subsequently when I was pulling down the boat I noticed that the jib had a rip and that the cable that supports the jib had also snapped!!!!

My question is what sort of money am I looking at to get a repair and also, who replaces the cable, at the top there is stiching that supports the jib?

it is ripped about 2 inches in, and the edge which has a zig zag is also ripped for about 30cms, could I just dart it up myself on the sewing machine at home, or is this to dangerous?

I used to sail off Alva Beach in north Queensland. Sea breeze was a bit novel to my old inland boat. The jib got torn along the join between two of the dacron panels.

I sewed it up with dental floss(waxed as it happens) carefully by hand, using zigzag stiches. That was 18 years ago and it still holding up OK. No harm in trying

Hi

I tore my main sails in some heavy wind sailing over winter - took it to a local sail maker - good call - really good job and checked all over to ensure nothing else potentially wrong on the sail - something you would miss doing a home repair. Anyway as I recall the repair was about $60 and he found a batten for free - which I'd lost.

Definitely recommend getting it done professionally

Cat

Archived