Damaged hull near rudder

toofast

Hi, I have damaged my maricat 4.3, running it up the beach in strong weather. It is similar to damage described by other posters - the hull is cracked and warped around the tiller mountings. However, it still seems very solid. Would it be ok to just grind it down, patch over it with putty or glass and paint it? I have friends who have some experience with this sort of thing, and this is what they suggest, but they are by no means experts.

Thanks, in advance.

I also recently damaged one of my rudders and successfully repaired it myself after getting quotes for $700 to $1200. I repaired it from the inside and outside by cutting a hole at the rear of each deck and putting in inspection hatches. This also means that you can remove the bungs (which always seem to leak). The curved hatches are available from Bris Cat Centre. The job is not easy but worth it in the end. Getting the rudders re-aligned in exactly the right place is the key. There is a cast alloy bracket on the inside which the stainless screws go into, I was lucky mine came out with a good bit of effort.

Archived