Jib sheets

Cammo

Hi all

this may be covered elsewhere, but I can't see it if it is so here goes: my Maricat has a sort of reticulated or continuous jib sheeting arrangement with a cleatable block on each side through which the sheet passes. Benefits of this appear to be that you can never lose the end you need, and it's very easy to haul it in. I'm new to cats but sailed many a mono dinghy in my youth and have never come across this set up. Is it the standard rig? I'm forever getting tangled in all the excess sheting. Grateful advice on managing it beter, or alternatives.

Cheers

yes there is a solution.....

remove jib and extras an d come sail cat rigged with the growing cat rigged fleet...................

not much of a solution, but you will find you need the 2:1 purchase on the jib so your arms don't get pulled out of their sockets.

cheers dave

OK - I'll give it a go this weekend on main alone and see if it's as much of a hoot. Thanks for the advice. Cheers

Originally posted by skyman:

yes there is a solution.....

remove jib and extras an d come sail cat rigged with the growing cat rigged fleet...................

not much of a solution, but you will find you need the 2:1 purchase on the jib so your arms don't get pulled out of their sockets.

cheers dave

Cammo, the rig you mention is standard on maricats with a jib. The rope is generally measured to be long enough to allow the jib to be furled. If you don't use a jib furler then the rope can be shortened significantly. Shorter rope should tangle less or try lighter rope, it also tangles less. I use 5mm rope for the jib sheets on ZAX (although ZAX is very new to sloop sailing)

Thanks Zax - I do have a jib furler and it's very handy so I think I'll stick with the length of sheet, but thinner ones might help. Also have a recalcitrant mainsheet (also very thick) that gets quite tangled. Might try same tactic. Cheers Rob.

Originally posted by ZAX:

Cammo, the rig you mention is standard on maricats with a jib. The rope is generally measured to be long enough to allow the jib to be furled. If you don't use a jib furler then the rope can be shortened significantly. Shorter rope should tangle less or try lighter rope, it also tangles less. I use 5mm rope for the jib sheets on ZAX (although ZAX is very new to sloop sailing)

[This message has been edited by Cammo (edited 13 January 2006).]

Archived