Boat weight

humungus2

Then make all the boats the exact same weight, same age sails and all the skippers weigh in at the exact same weight.

Then it is 100% skill.

You are the only class in the world doing it and I just think it makes thing complex when it doesn't have to be.

John Smith who weighs in at 75 kg's is disadvantaged as he now has to carry 10kg's on his new boat because of this rule. His brother is 125 kg's and he is disadvantaged as he is 20kg's heavier.

That is whe great thing about sailing. We ar all different shapes and sizes and still manage to compete.

Best of luck fella's. I'm off the the RSL.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 26 April 2006).]

EMMESSEE, THINK YOU JUST LIKE A G UP BUT A. firstly making all boats and skipper the same weight is impossible. B.not the only class to carry skipper and crew weights all hobie cat class do this and this rule is very simple to apply. C.your profile says you are a boss from sydney but you can not add up in your story john smith does not carry 20klo he only carrys 10klo and would be very farst, his brother is 125klo and will never be competitive on a maricat 4.3 cat rigged boat. but if super sloop put new weight on for foam sandwich boats about 90 to 95klo then his brother would be competitive in this great class. D. yes we are all different shapes and sizes but you can not make things perfect, with the testing that the cat rigged class has done over a period of time the 85klo weight for skippers of foam sandwich boats opens the door for skippers to be up to about 100klo's and still be very competitive, again our austrailian champ won the title this year at about 95klo on foam boat,this would not be possible in the old days. E. EMMESSEE. you have a lot to say that;s good we wont maricat skippers that have passion for the boat, myself and mick believe the maricat 4.3 is the best boat in australia; if you own one we would love you to come to tanilba bay for a visit with your boat next season, from sydney it is a very easy 2 hour drive paradise sorry I mean tanilba bay HELPFULL PIRATE...

Well Pedro, you seem not to mind if someone leaves the class so long as you can get a cheap new boat out of it.... but I won't go there. I appreciate that you are doing your best to try and grow the class even if it means pushing people to leave it.

To be honest as far as I can see this new rule only really avantages people like yourself. People that do not wish to commit to buying a new boat but wish to be able to win a National or State Title on a 20 year old boat. I am fine with that but would prefer if you did not target the new boats and people that have commited to the future of this great class. It is not easy to find an old boat in the 80kg platform weight range, so those of you that have them are fortunate. And I guess it must be a dissappointing that something that was once very difficult to obtain can now easily be attained from the manufacturer as a new boat. If anyone has ever tried to find a light old boat in good condition you would know how difficult it is. It is possible for anyone to buy a minimum weight new boat without any problems at all.

The older boats with ideal weight skippers are the only winners with the new rule. I was 97kg and now 93kg so it does not effect me personally. My concern is that is could prevent people wanting to buy new boats. Even if the rule is fair and some of us just don't see it yet... the amount of negative discussion certainly does not help the class or assist people in wanting to buy new boats.

I don't really expect to be leaving the class next year as I don't expect the rule would still be in place. If it is still in place then I can still sail in National events where the rule does not apply.

My intention is to race again in the Cat class National Titles in 2008. Suggest you start practicing smile.gif And if you are really serious in having a shot at the Title... buy a new boat ! If I am really serious, I would get in shape, loose some weight and sail more often. If you enjoy the thrill of competion and enjoy sailing a great boat then sail whatever type of maricat you want... old or new, they are all great boats.

cheers !

I am sorry. I corrected the numbers.

Yes I do run a little company here in Sydney so I will get my CFO do check everything I do from here on. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me.

I am sorry that I think your rule is dumb.

I am sorry the manufacturer thinks it is dumb.

I am also sorry that I do not have a Maricat anymore as they are wonderful boats.

Best of luck.

I have a headache from a few to many cleansing ales at the Rissole yesterday.

We have a list of sail numbers and boat weights at the start of this thread. Would someone please let us know what position each boat came in the fleet.

Down here the lighter boats have done best - but they also use the better gear.

JOHN - Please read who was after your boat i did not write this, it was my daughter, she is passionate about maricats as well, and would love to get a maricat next season. Her old hobie 14' is no good.

Mate, we are both passionate about maricats we just see things differently.

This class is growing because skippers can afford old boats. my personal position is i have a family that also will sail maricats, buying three boats, new or old is not cheap.

to sell new boats you need a healthy class to race against

- and the MORE old boats we can get to race, the MORE interest is created in the class, therefore MORE new boats will be sold.

The class cannot change from old to new overnight. This will take time.

- PIRATE HIMSELF

My mistake Pirate... had not read who the posting was from.

I have no problem at all with any of the up and coming Maricatters putting me in my place smile.gif Will be good to see the new sailors on the water and bringing with them what ever new ideas will advance the maricat class in future.

cheers !

Archived