NOR National 2007 QLD

Pointed Reply

Details are correct.

Expecting the Notice of Race will be the same as the Nacra one since they are the organising Authority. Only difference for us is that we start a few days later and finish at the same time sharing the presentation.

cheers !

Entry Forms would be available on the first day of the event. We are having the Maricat Nationals in conjunction and with support of the Nacra / Maricat Manufacturer.

The Notice of Race will be the same as the Nacra one apart from our start date being later - our event is From Monday 1st January to Friday 5th January with the presentation shared with the Nacra's. Our first day is always entry/measure and invitation race, the other races will fit in with the Nacra's using the same start boat with possibly inner markers if necessary. There is a single start for the maricat fleets and we will be sailing the same style of course as the Nacra's. Should be an interesting and fun event.

A Notice of Race will be available when its available !

Go NSW/ACT smile.gif

See..............!

This is what really get to me. The YA say it is not tactical.

Big Deal. Why take the fun out of the sport???

It really really ping me off BIG TIME. You still have the tactical elements of the upwind, the windward return a couple of times. The reach IS tactical and also about boat handling.

It 20 knots it can let us see who has less fear and knows how to sail his boat on the edge.

When will these idots wake up???

Sorry, but I feel better now I have vented that.

I just remember when I first got a 5.8 and was slow upwind and downwind, but I was young and stupid and could make up 4 or 5 places on the reas easily in a blow as I had zero fear. Two out on the wire and going as hard as I possibly could. Tactically it was not easy either as you had to give way when passing and still hit the mark for the gybe to the bottom.

When it was close to 20 knots many other skippers would sit in and just do their best to control the boat, often slowing it to make sure they didn't bury a bow, but the mad ones used to stay out on the wire and scream to the next mark. Some say stupidity others say skill. Often it wouldn't work and there would be tears, but it is all part of sailing.

When I finally worked out my upwind speed I could then hold off everyone until the top mark again and hopefully have enough lead to hold on downwind as I was not great at this for another year or so.

We are trying to attract people to sailing and racing their boats, so why take out the most thrilling part of it when in a regatta???

It just doesn't make sense.

Matt

I must admit that I too find running dead downwind a bit boring. Some of my fondest memories of Maricating are the screaming reaches of races past. Perhaps these reaches were not great from a tactical viewpoint, but they sure were fun.

Some of the other classes I sail have gone to the windward/leeward courses, and for these classes it does make some sense. But for the Maricat I still enjoy a good reach.

Agree with you both on this. The reach is what motivates me to sail the catamarans. also enjoyed it on the windsurfers.

Myself, Darcy and others sat through a recent race officers course run by the YA and were told how the reaches are not tactical and thus being removed from the courses. Does seem such a pity.

No need to remove it from Maricat events though, or from club racing. I think it is good particularly for the younger guys to get a look at the new courses if they intend to go further with sailing. So mixing the courses up a bit can only help.

It great to see the Nacra crew being constructive about the nationls. It should be a lot of fun to mix with the big boats. I hope I can stay out of their way. I think the mari is a bit stronger than a nacra so we better have a refresher on the rules and make sure the insurance is up to date.

Archived