Hulls digging in

geoffo

I sail with a jib, but on high wind days struggle to keep the hull from digging in. I weigh 90kg, but even sitting almost on top of the traveller track, I cannot get the bow to lift. It would appear that the power in the main and jib is forcing the front of the boat down. I dont want to sheet out, but fear that If I "go for it", the nose is just going to dig in. How can I convert the power from pushing the nose, to forward momentum. Is it just a matter or raking the sail back a bit, as you would on a sailboard.

I'm new to sailing and having the same problem myself.

once you have the forestay the correct lenght for the right amount of mast rake, is there a formula to work out the lenght of the side stays or is it trial and error?

Have been drinking plenty of beer.

[This message has been edited by Chameleon (edited 08 December 2006).]

The top of the mast will be just in front of the back beam. If you have stay adjusters you can set the stay tension and rake. If you have too much mast rack you will not be able to get enough main sheet tension. You will get block to block before the leech if properly tensioned for strong wind. On a reach in strong wind you need to get back behind the rear beam. The effect of the extra leverage is dramatic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mast rake to within 6 inches of rear beam,Rudders raked forward under boat to ruduce weather helm caused by mast rake, low profile blocks and or have another clue put in the main 6-8 inches up, file-rasp rear of mast step enough so that mast does not foul, shorten shrouds and lengthen top swivel wire to hound (use 2ml spectra, 4-6 times round to get length correct, then get a longer wire made to suit). sloop rig needs to be tight.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived