Mari 4.8

Loose Change

Hello everyone, my first post here. I have recently acquired a Mari 4.8 and would like to know if my thinking is correct. On the centre beam there are two sets of small pulleys at the front with coresponding cam cleats on each hull. I assume the front one is to control mast rotation and the rear looks like it is meant for some kind of sail shape control via a rope gizmo setup as there are two holes at each corner of the sail. Neither of these pulley setups had any fixtures with them, so I am surmising all this and welcome any positive comments. Lastly, is it possible to erect the mast by yourself safely as the damn thing is 8 metres long and takes on the form of wet spaghetti when trying to raise it. Thanks for indulging me

This is a topic covered often in many forums and one that will never go away. With some practice and knowledge you can raise a 5.8 mast solo, and it is hard to explain here but easy to show, but I will try.

I set up the boat on the grass or beach with the bow heading down a slight hill of down the beach. The rollers are then place right at the rear of the boat. As far back as possible.

The mast is layed along the boat with it balancing on both beams with the foot near the bows.

The side stays are attached along with the trap wires, but this is not a must, they can stay wrapped around the stays if this is how you pack up.

I then have a rope attached to the forestay and running through a shackle or ring on the bridal then layed back to the rear beam.

Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball. This needs practice to do alone, but can me managed. It is easier if you have your trailer nearby, or something to hold the top end of the mast. I use my trailer mast holder as I can, but I have used fences, trees and even a beach unbrella. Your car roof racks are great too.

The mast is now ready to be lifted and I start lifting where it is comfortable. That varies on how many beers I may have had the night before and how much strength I think I have.

I then walk to the stern of the boat with the mast at shoulder height. Once at the stern I rest it on my shoulder grab the rope that is attached to the forestay, as I am going to keep this reasonably tight as I walk the mast up the rest of the way.

The rollers now come into play. I use the axle as my first step up onto the boat. It is much easier that trying to lift the mast and take the big step onto the rear beam.

The mast is still at shoulder height and mainly I use my shoulder until I get onto the rear beam or tramp.

Once I am up there, I grab the mast with two hands and walk it up, with the forestay rope being transfered between hands as I keep walking it up.

Once I have it upright, I have the forestay almost in position due to the rope and if I keep this tight, the mast will stay up and I can jump off the front beam and shackle the forestay in place.

It is a rather quick process and takes a few practice sessions with some mates around in case you get into trouble, but it is worth it in the long run.

I can do it with most masts if set up right.

I will try and get the better half to take some pics next week when I go for a sail.

hi LC,

i haven't seen a 4.8 for years, i have built a few beams and masts for them when reqired, and possibly the layout drawings are still here, but.

matt has one of the easiest,safest methods of mast raising, but some guys used to attach the rigging loosely, and physically stand the mast vertically just in front of the main beam, and then lift it straight up into the step. BUT, big BUT, you have to have adjust the rigging to the incorrect (extra) length to do this and then re-adjust it back to the required tension , I allways thought that this was a pain, but i never sailed a 4.8, so what would i know. my advice is, heed what matt says, but go to a sailing club ,and get some hands on help.

pete smile.gif

ps . i have just read humungous's post, and as he is the VP of the NSW Maricat Association, he is definitely the best help

pete smile.gif

pps. i thought the mast was longer than the 8 meters you mention???????

pete wink.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 19 January 2007).]

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 19 January 2007).]

Gentlemen, thank you all for your replies, I am not without experience having built and sailed a Stingray for many years and have had a Catamaran hire business which was a mixture of Mari 4.0 and Hawke cats,followed by a mistake, I bought a new Hydra (shame on me), So while I understand how to rig a boat I just don't understand how to rig this one. I don't as yet have beach rollers for it yet, (more Loose Change required) so the suggestion of using those is a bit redundant at this point but will be filed away as useful info for later. I don't understand ..."Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball" What ball? The 4.8 doesn't have a ball, the mast base is a shallow inverted cone that sits on a stainless pin and when walking the mast up there is just no way that it will stay put on that little pin. While the Hydra was somewhat portly it at least had what I considered to be the best mast step I ever saw, a ball and socket with a pin through it which you removed after the mast was erected.

I will be sailing in Jervis Bay, possibly with Vincentia Cat Club.

I have just gone out and measured the masts on both 4.8 and they are both 8.070 metres long. (yes I bought two) One is being sold to a mate and it also will grace the waters of JB but like mine it too has bits and pieces missing on it, hence the questions.

Thank you again

hi LC,

from your post it appears that you have the standard maricat mast step and base, I am sure the local maricat sailors will be able to assist you.

the mast ball arrangement that matt was mentioning is not on maricats, but on some other classes.

hope you get it all sorted soon, and can get back on the water.

pete smile.gif

Archived