Motion 3 for AGM at Easter State Titles

Pointed Reply

The crew weights of all Maricats be as per the original class rules. (Cat Rigged 63.5, Sloop 108kg, Supersloop 74kg).

That Foam Sandwich Maricats carry a weight penalty equal to the difference between the boat weight and that of the lightest 10 (or some other number) of normal Maricats as weighed at the previous State Titles. The boats are to be weighed with hulls, trampoline, rudders and associated equipment and traveller car and sheet.

why bring this up again?

What is a "normal Maricat"?,is it a twenty year old boat ?, or is it the best Maricat ever built, that is a real step up, without contravening the class rule regarding weight of boat?, built by a manufacturer who has the best interest of ALL maricat sailors in mind, and allowing the opportunity for all keen sailors to benefit by enabling the future continuation of the class, and not an inevitable demise through lack of a product by detereation?

pete frown.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 23 February 2007).]

• 2 weeks later...

The original class rules, did not have any weight restrictions, these were introduced when two lightweight sailors started to upset some of the heavy male skippers in light weather. This was done under the guise of safety, if making lightweights wear weights or adding weight to the hulls is safety I doubt. Surely the only safe way is to ensure that anyone sailing can right the boat in windless conditions. I have always considered that it is the sailing skills that count, lightweights are at a disadvantage in heavy weather so over a regatta things balance out. Here over in the west lightweights would be losing most of the time. As far as hull weight if hulls are made by authorised manufacturer and not modified that should be enough, foamies should have their IYA yardstick upgraded.

hi,

There is only one authorised manufacturer.

They manufacture according to the rules.

GRP or Foam all weigh the same when new,

it just happens that most of the boats

are more than twenty years old, usually

they have had many repairs and are using

older heavier gear, apart from the fact

that many improvements are available to

all sailors ,some choose not to make use

of this opportunity to upgrade and remain

competetive,they appear to be in a state

of "limbo", and are content to complain

when beaten by a new class legal boat.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 10 March 2007).]

PS.

There are many ,many very good sailors in the various Maricat divisions, of all ages, and both male and female.

The class is particularly strong in NSW, and many well supported regattas are held, and every weekend there are clubs sailing whose members will make new people welcome.

Taffy, (good old nickname,I spent some of my early schooldays in Wales,)I see that you are in WA, do many maris sail there?.

pete smile.gif

xmatelot, I do not beleive that the GRP and Foamies weigh the same when "new".

At the last NSW States the two lightest GRP boats were Humumgus (87kg) and Pointed Reply (88kg), the heaviest was 105kg. As far as I am aware the foamies have not been weighed but the guess is about 75kg. As Mick says the new foamies appear to be lighter, faster, point higher, tack easier, are more rigid, don't nosedive and are generally a much better boat than the old Maris....so why not go the whole way and put a big square top sail on it as well !!

Just a thought !!

hi,

what was the year of manufacture of the 'HEAVY' mari?.

If the class wants to put a "big square top" sail on , or a kite, or whatever, let them vote on it, they will then effectively destroy the class.

The new boats are CLASS LEGAL, what is the problem?, as Mick and the other new boat owners state, the boat is better, stiffer, more bouyant, just a new boat, obviously it is faster than an old heavy one.

just my thoughts,

pete wink.gif

Peter Breaden beat me 3 out of 3 last weekend, I have had to do some fine tuning to get the new girl going. The compertion at Tanilba asures us of a top 3 placings in the states. The old clunkers are on my tail and a big part of success is not just a quick boat but beleive it or not, and wait for it: THE SAILOR makes a differance to. We have a consistant 10 - 15 mariacts sailng on a Sunday which makes for great compertition. The fastes boats are the ones with the skippers which make the least mistakes. But a fast boat allows you to more mistakes than a slow boat.

as i said before it really is the quality of the sailor that counts. I remember when Colin Metcher arrived at a regatta with an almost rejected boat and a sail with a reasonable rip in the main. Three races and the rest of us left with our tails between our legs. Xmatelot no not many Maris over here, but I see that old salt is very popular on this forum I shoud be a very old salt. If there is anyone still sailing Maricats in NSW that sailed 25 years ago they would know who taffy(KCC) was.

Hello All,

I have a question regarding this whole conversation. This is the motion from the last NSW/ACT AGM 2006 States. I quote

"That the Skipper weight for the foam sandwich constructed 4.3m Maricat cat rigged be set at a minimun of 85kg

Propsed by Peter Breaden

Seconded by Mick Colecliffe.

Reason for motion: The weight differance between the new foam sandwich and the old fibreglass boats is a consistant 25kg. This gives the newer boats an unfair advantage of 25kg. Clearly the skipper weight will keep things on a level playing field

This motion has been put in wrighting to the association"

If I remeber correctly the outcome was that the minumum weight would apply only in the Cat rigged class? would only apply for 12 months? and only at NSW/ACT events? is my memory correct?

If my memory is right what does this all mean for the upcoming states? This is related to the 2nd motion that Pointed Reply has suggested, but has relevance to this conversation also

Regards,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Helter Skelter (edited 11 March 2007).]

You are right, I intend to wear weights if I am under the 85kg. Peter breaden is around 70kg and a top sailor on an old boat. His boat weighs 20kg more than my foamy. The ruling is to be reviewed at the next AGM which is held at the states.

the association runs the class. all this stuff was well debated at the larst state meeting . this meeting was well attended by sailors that have sailed in this class for years, some forever. numbers at the meeting were about 30 members,the cat class will sail under the new rule, WE LIKE IT. when the vote was taken arfter a long and good debate. YES 99% FOR IT .john merl is not sailing at taniba bay state so there are no foam sandwich boats in sloop super sloop there will be three foam boats in the cat class SO STOP TALKING ABOUT NOTHING AND COME SAIL THE STATE TITLE AT TANILBA BAY IT WILL BE GREAT....RACE SEC MARICAT.........PIRATE TRUST ME.

Archived