Novice lokking at a Maricat 4.3

tar00na

Hi tar00na

Having had a monohull's before you'll find the things you need to look out for in terms of the sails and rigging will be similar to the things you'd normally look for on a monohull.

Specific things to look for on a Maricat are signs of stress cracking around the chainplates, and where the rudders attach to the hulls, corrosion of the beams etc.

May advice is pay a little more ($1600 - $2500)and get a really good boat that someone has looked after well. Most boats that start out cheap seldom finish that way. So paying a little more for a better boat is the safer way to go.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 29 March 2007).]

How do you tell the age of a cat, I looked at one today that has the traveller aft of the stern beam

Originally posted by BarryK1200LT:

Hi tar00na

Having had a monohull's before you'll find the things you need to look out for in terms of the sails and rigging will be similar to the things you'd normally look for on a monohull.

Specific things to look for on a Maricat are signs of stress cracking around the chainplates, and where the rudders attach to the hulls, corrosion of the beams etc.

May advice is pay a little more ($1600 - $2500)and get a really good boat that someone has looked after well. Most boats that start out cheap seldom finish that way. So paying a little more for a better boat is the safer way to go.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 29 March 2007).]

Originally posted by tar00na:

How do you tell the age of a cat, I looked at one today that has the traveller aft of the stern beam

Good question. Other than by sail number I don't realy know?

I guess the bottom line is that Maricats have been around for about 30 (?) years now, so chanes are, most Maricats will likely be 20 plus years old, and like anything thats got a few years on it, you have to judge each boat on it's own merits.

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm going for a sail on it on Sunday morning so find out the sail number then. Is there any sequence that the numbers ran by year for example?

Thanks

Les

Good question. Other than by sail number I don't realy know?

I guess the bottom line is that Maricats have been around for about 30 (?) years now, so chanes are, most Maricats will likely be 20 plus years old, and like anything thats got a few years on it, you have to judge each boat on it's own merits.

Cheers

Barry

Hi Guys Someone at the maricat club at Tanilba bay told me last week you could find the number stamped into the hulls under the front beam.

I checked this during the week on a boat i bought recently which i know has a non original sail with it, unless it is written in invisble ink it aint there.

Bit awkward to unbolt front beams when looking at a boat anyway, (can a worms) if you do.

Rough Guide:

Boat No's 1-200 Mk1. Rudder shape more like a Hobie (there are only 2 different shapes) and slightly finer in the bow section, (hard to tell unless you have 2 side by side)Lighter mast section without stiffening internally.

Boat No's 200 to about 2500 Still Mk1. Other rudder shape, Back beam still separate from traveller but but not screwed to the hull as in previous, attatched to the back beam via same bracket as centre part of traveller. Rudder cheeks square shape not rounded shape.Rudders have stainless d's to attach ropes to not double holes into the core of the blade. Heavier mast section 4kg more than previous, ussually had breather pipes for hull expansion at front and rear cross beam joins. More solid mast base section.

Boat No's 2500 + Mk2. Integrated back beam with traveller, deck section where back beam fits slightly different shape to accept new beam, rudders same shape as previous but no d rings, 19mm holes in blade for attachments instead.

Can anybody add to this or correct it.Between my beach hire boats and my own 2 boats these are the things i have discovered.

Al

hi,

Al is right in the thing he states, but the older boat can have new mast, or rudder parts, or tramp,or sail, the newer rear beam can be fitted to older hulls. It's not really important,what is is the quality of the boat for the financial outlay. Mari's are good boats, (the new 4.3 is absolutely superb)and there are heaps of good older ones around, if you can get a sailing friend to help you check it out,all well and good.

pete wink.gif

Hey thanks for that information, it appears that the boat is a Mk 1 and in quite good shape. I noticed the breather pipes and had no idea why they where there.

So during what periods where the Mk 1 and Mk2's built?

The boat appears to be in quite good condition, I'll find out on sunday, although the weather is forecast for 20/25 Knots on Moreton bay.

Did these boats ever have a trapeze?

Les

ussually had breather pipes for hull expansion at front and rear cross beam joins.

Hey Taroona one thing i would advise as a last thing to check before buying is if you are looking at racing the boat is weigh it. Mine is a mark1 sail no. 586 weighs in at 105KG thats hulls tramp rudders and beams only, most other maris go 75KG for new to 95KG for old ones. When these things were originally built weight was not a factor, so they tended to be heavier,(so i'm told) very strong but against a lighter boat not so good to race if comparing apples to apples. Other things i've found check for galvanatic corrosion inside the beams around where they are fastened to the hulls (dissimilar metals)I've broken a back beam due to corrosion weakening the aluminium, also the mark 1's oringinally had a stool arrangement where the bolts held the beams to the hulls, corrosion tends to split them apart, really seems to depend on whether the boat was hosed off with fresh water after use or just stored salty. If you just want a boat for mucking around on weight will not be a problem. Good luck.

Hi Barry,

When I buy one I will go out for a sail with you. and yes i live in bris at Cleveland

Les

Hi Les,

I see your testing the boat on Morton Bay, so I'm presuming you live in Brisbane? If so, I live at Alexandra Hills and regularly sail from Victoria Point.

Perhaps we can get together and take the Maricats out for a sail on the bay some day.

Cheers

Barry

Archived