Hydra 16

Lenedave

The $5K Hydra got no bids - no surprise.

Now there's another Hydra up for $1800 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/16-Ft-Catamaran-Hydra-Saili ng-Boat_W0QQitemZ220122202514QQihZ012QQcategoryZ102701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would be keen to run my Hydra in a class of it's own, doesn't have to be a state c'ship and I'm thinking of joining Mannering Park for next summer anyway.

[This message has been edited by PP (edited 24 June 2007).]

[This message has been edited by PP (edited 25 June 2007).]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go the Hydra link.....!!!

I would return regularly for that.

Have any of you guys retro fitted Hobie jib cars....I have and know three others that have...works well and gets rid of those heavy ratchets off the beam.

Also, the mast clip, sail length is out of wacj or waht/

Has anyonoe modernised the downhaul and rotaion?

Originally posted by Emmessee:

Now I think we need a Hydra link here. They are coming out of the woodwork, so to speak.

I have a Taipan project boat. The Taipan sail would be perfect for the Hydra with about a foot cut off the foot......very cheap squar top in good condition.

Bridle foil?

Spinny?

Originally posted by warbird:

Have any of you guys retro fitted Hobie jib cars....I have and know three others that have...works well and gets rid of those heavy ratchets off the beam.

Originally posted by warbird:

I'm interested, what are Hobie jib cars like?

Mine has a block with spring loaded cam cleats on each side which fit into a small track, heavy and clumsy but it does give a 2:1 purchase on the jib sheet.

The Hobie blocks are often available second hand and you can usually get rid of what you have for a strait swap or better.

The H blocks are slider with an eye and cam cleat. There is a shackle there as well so the line is still two to one. Very much smaller and less of a PITA. Your other choice is a non static swivel version. Yopu will not be sorry. I do not know how to post photos here so just google it and check images.

You would need to be careful with the mast as they have proven not be be strong.

But certainly they need a little more. The mast is too long at top and there is heaps of room at the bottom because of the rig style. A big fully battened jib like the H16, longer main luff and a square top and serious downhaul would change this boat over night. Other older patforms like H16s have re jigged and re thought rig postion over and over to good results. I was chatting to an H16 racer from the 80s and he said the Hydra was the boat to beat and everyone wanted one!

Well a 16 would just kick it these days.

But there is no Hydra association to unify anything.

I sail mine almost always solo so a bridle foil. lower, bigger, battoned jib and an extra 400ml of luff and square top is where I would go. Cheep conversion too as it can be done with second hand Taipan mains and H16 jibs.

This boat buries the bows...safely and doesn't pitch unless your slow but it needs plenty more rake on the mast to fight this.

• 3 months later...

Taipan 4.9 is perfect for this boat.

The mast head hook is 4 inches too low and the mast sticks out the top. Lift the hook to about 1.5 inches off the top.

You can also gain about six inches at the bottom.

This means you cut about 10 inches off the top of the sail and add a batton and you get a late style shape square top for naff all wich fit the boat superbly.

If you get both sails off the Taipan the jib cuts down easily and is the same luff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Colin I can't help you about #782, but i would also like to locate an old Hydra #782. Have just taken up sailing again after 25years, do have a old Maricat, but have not seen a Hydra for sale over here in the West. Would be interested if anyone over here has one for sale. Colin I feel sure that I know, we have raced against each other a few times. Could you acquire the shape of a Maricat rudder for me.

Yes Colin it as Knapman. I have just started sailing again at 70. Am Bosun of a new sailing club, part of Port Bouvard Spoerts Club. I am after the rudder shape for maricat. Although I have yet to see a Hydra over here, our wind vane is a copy of my Hydra 772. Kelvin is back sailing again that is when his bad back allows. If you have the maricat rudder shape please email to me on gknapo@gmail.com

• 3 months later...
  • 11 years later...