mast base modification

fangman

Having recently bouight a maricat 4.3 I am interested in modifying mast rake .I have read all the forum advise /suggestions,however but I would like more detail eg

1.How much can I grind from mast aluminium base before I compromise strenghth and integrity.

2."Lengthing mast pin by adding 5 cent piece" ,Is this just acase of taking pin base off mast and adding the 5 cent piece

Thats a good way of doing it if you have a bolt in the base. I havn't seen a bolt in the base as standerd but I would sugest going to the trouble removing the pin and replacing it with a cup head bolt would be the ideal way. The 5c if you chose to go this way is fine but it will only last 2-3 outings before needing replacment. I used a punch to indent/concave the 5c first. Before you erect the mast, simly put the 5c in where the mast would sit first then put up your mast as normal.

Grinding the base. At this stage I have not heard of a mast base colapsing after being ground.

I have only taken the mast step off once, as the pin was loose. If I remember it is a threaded bolt with the ss pin welded on the end.

The spacer nut on mine is 16mm diameter (same as the pin) and 8mm long.

Mine was like that when I bought the boat and has probably been there for 20 yrs.

My mast step (on the crossbeam) is intact but the section of the mast base (rear of the fitting) which allows the mast to rotate is skinny. This allows the mast to be racked but also allows a bit more mast rotation. Pointed Reply races with minimum weight crew so needs the mast rotation to depower the rig in strong wind.

Archived