Weight of Foam Maricats

Pointed Reply

Hi,

Surely the remedy is simple.

If the whole Boat is under weight, then, as the class rules state, add fixed weight to the hulls to bring it to minimum weight.

That should not be a problem.

Kitchen scales are notoriously innaccurate.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 05 November 2007).]

The compression fracture in the deck of the foam super sloop Maricat is a concern. Many of the boats in the old days had this problem. The jib bridle puts an inward twisting stress on the hulls rather than upwards. Is the added compression forces of the jib bridle, finding a weakness in the new boats that will need strengthening? The cat rigged boats look OK.

Did that weight of 68kgs include rudders? My 1981 platform with rudders weighs 85kgs and the rig around 16kgs.

I have raced Maricats since 1978, and all the Maricat 4.3s I have weighed have been at least 100kgs when fully rigged.

The foamies must be nice to sail and a bit easier to put on the trailer at the end of the day.

The boats were weighed with rudders. At Toukley last year we weighted about 15 boats with a butchers hook scale. Boats varied from 87 to 104 kg..hulls, rudders, tramp, mainsheet. So the lightest old boats are at least 10kg overweight. But the foamies could be up to 10kg underweight. This would allow the new boats to be significantly strengthened and stiffened. Or should they be keep light, making them easier to sail and handle.

Scotty has a Gelcoat stress crease on the inside of the port deck just in front of the front beam. At this stage we are monitering it and have let BCC know. They assure us that it isn't a problem but we will be pushing it as hard as we can to test the boat properly. By the way Scott has finaly worked out how to win. He flew past Pedro on the weekend, I didn't get a chacne to try my new battle axe "WISKER".

Pedro's loss was his own doing. Now we'll never catch scotty. Still it was great to see a super sloop at ballistic speeds on a reach. I feel it went faster when zack gave it a run, but theres a deciding factor there (the breadan factor, those kids are born with a life jacket already on)

• 2 weeks later...

The original posting on this was not correct. None of the new foam boats weighed in at 68kg. generated a good amount of interest which is always good fun, must have the manufacturer scratching his head as to how that weight came up smile.gif So far as I know, the only foam sandwich boat that is under weight is mine and it is not 68kg (ZAX). I carry correcting weights. ZAX is lighter because it was the first foam sandwich boat built, the boats after this are the correct weight and have additional strengthening / stiffness. The extra weight has gone into improving the boats. The all up weight on ZAX was not known until it was assembled.

The foamy was weighed by Darcy at Mannering Park before the regatta on the 6th October 2007. It was weighed on bathroom scales and showed 68kg. Sweet 16 was also weighed and was 74kg. A number of older boats were also weighed and gave 92-96kg.

What is being questioned is the accuracy of the weighing method.

If the scales are correct then it is a matter of fact (and not opinion) that these boats, as manufactured, do NOT met the class requirement of being 95kg all up.

If the scales were incorrect then what IS the weight. There appears to be enough doubt as to the weight of these boats for the seller/owners to do a proper check.

The skipper of each boat is responsible to ensure that their boat meets the class requirements.

What a mess , firstly there is no class rule which allows for a under weight boat to carry correction weights, only when the helmsman is under weight they can then ad weight !So how does the builder let an illegal boat be built ?

who says an underweight boat cannot carry correcting weights ? Of course a boat can carry correcting weights. Does not seem so difficult or a mess. Please be careful about calling boats illegal unless it is your intention just to offend people.

I have been watching this and similar threads with great interest. Can I just firstly state that the reason that Maricats are an attractive option for Mum and Dad sailors is that they are reasonably equal and that the sailing should be fun. This is what Hobie Alter designed the original Hobies for. Unfortunately we should be looking to learn from the experiences of other so that we do not make the same mistakes.

With a number of sporting pursuits there technology has been recently involved, the experience has been that there is a short term gain but a long term loss of involvement as to be competitive, the costs become prohibitive.

This has happened in the Motor Speedway, Post Classic Motorcycles and a lot of sports.

All I hope is that we do not loose sight of that makes the Mari an attractive option.

This is becoming too political.

I still cant see the class rule which refers to correction weights being added to a under weight boat(refer "xmatelot" post ), i retract my use of the word ILLEGAL , i have just read the above post from ZAX and understand how the boat became under weight not illegal from the builder.Apologies.

Ok I cannot ignore it any longer.

All those involved in this discussion please obtain a copy of the constitution, (it is a legally binding and registered document) available to all through the Australian Govt Legal Service, and then, explain how we get to this situation we now have. The current situation of crew weights is 'NOT' covered within the constitution (implied or explicit) and therefore unconstitutional, and legally arguable. Why do you think you have to have a constitution?. It is examined by legal professionals, among other things to ensure it is not discriminatory. As it stands it is probably not discriminatory, but the current state of play is. To change any constitution you have to have a referendum, in other words a maximum % of people from those eligible to vote must vote in favour of the proposed changes. That is not an AGM where not all persons entitled to vote can be there, it must be available for all to vote from wherever they are, and publicised to all those concerned. To take it one step further, the moment any entity operates outside it's constitution, those in office are legally accountable to anybody who cares to challenge them. In this instance it would probably be on discrimination issues.

Argue this?

Why should one person be required to add weight,(because they can) when another cannot be asked to discard weight(because they cannot).

If anybody can argue the above question, logically, I will submit.

We can debate this on a forum forever but if you want to sort it once and for all it needs to be done constitutionally and then there can be no argument, Other than that all involved are just pis---g in the sea-breeze.

Al

Update:

Upon further reading of the constitution, it appears that no class changes can be made without the licensed manufacturers approval. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that BCC has not even been consulted on this issue, let alone allowed input as to how there vested interest may be affected.

Al

Archived