mick flogged

humungus2

Well it happened at Mannering Park on Saturday. Young Jason sailed very well and won both races against the top sailers. Well done Jason I am starting to worrie. Did you say you had other plans for the Nats? Thanks Mannering Park we had a great time and great compertition.

Hi Mick, I would not be coming to Port Kembla. Assume Tony Zara would be on a new foamy there... should be a great event ! My sailing is fairly much limited to most weekends at Mannering Park now.

Won't miss the Nationals at Port Stephens though, should be excellent there.

Mick, I was told yesterday that you may intend to protest boats from the next Nationals that have the front hatch sealed. That would eliminate both our young sailors from the event.

Can you please clarify, which rule do you feel this breaks ? There is no rule against this and it has been done by various boats to stop the leaks over at least the last 7 years of National Titles. Why raise it now? Is it just because one of the juniors beat you recently ?

Appreciate it if you would clarify this prior to boats heading to the Nationals on a time wasting exercise. This effects 3 boats intending to participate in the Nationals from Mannering Park.

Note that you would be highly unlikely to win a protest on this point at any rate. It is still something that should be cleared up now rather than at the Nationals.

If you did not make this statement then accept my appology !

OK Johno, I am suprised you have brought this subject up on the forum after all the other crap that is being said on here about the class. I never said that I would protest anyone out. However sealing the hatches to hide a missing compartment is a modification which the manufacturer has not approved. I am not the "LAY THE LAW DOWN" type of bloke and for me to protest anyone it would have to be a serious breach that the majority agreed to. I simlpy said that sealing of the hatch is a modification which has not been aprooved.

I have a lot of respect for the young guys sailing and in any way I can, I would like to help them get faster and faster. When it come to me getting beat on the water I am not a sore loser I am just a very excited winner. eg: I posted MICK FLOGGED. If we don't have young sailors the class has no future and if the class has no future its going to be lonley at the front.

Thanks for the reply. And great that you are supportive of our youngsters. Sealing of the hatches is not to hide a missing compartment but helps prevent leaking plus makes the boat look a bit better I think. I have gone to a bit of effort to keep ZAX looking nice, it has no holes showing in the beams etc. as an example. It is not an unapproved modification and not against any class rule. The one that could have been questioned is the additional rear hatch but it is now made like that by the manufacturer so it is also ok.

To use my own boat as an example. When ZAX was built it had no storage compartment at all so it is pointless to have a hatch there since to sponge the boat out its easier to use the back hatch. The newer foam boats are significantly improved over mine since it was the first one built. The current boats use the front storage area as an integral part of the strengthening with a mid section joining 2 bulkheads. Mine does not have that unfortunately.

If you are ever unsure why things are done.. just ask. I am very much aware of the class rules and I stick to them.

Other than that.. all is good and look forward to seeing you at the Nats. Although you won't win still nice to see you there smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Mick, I still want this clarified. in your explanation of what you said, you still say that sealing the hatches is an unapproved modification. Would appreciate your comment. If there is any doubt at all from your point of view as president of the Maricat Association I would like to know prior to a time wasting trip North. All you have clarified is that you are unlikely to personally submit a protest.

So what is approved ? The sealing of the hatches , the removal of the stowage compartment ? or both ?

As per Humungus post quote " sealing the hatches to hide a missing compartment is a modification which the manufacture has not approved "

IT..

In the case of my boat. It never had a stowage compartment to remove. And I believe that Mick is withdrawing his earlier comment as it was based on misinformation. The statement that the hatch was sealed to hide a missing compartment was wrong.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

cheers !

Archived