Tacking

knobblyoldjimbo

Had some very useful hints and comments about tacking at MPYC on Saturday.

So far this seems to be THE most difficult part of the cat sailing equation.

So that I, and other 'nooobs' can understand better can we have some helpful suggestions as to the best method(s) of tacking.

The cat - raked mast - long tiller extension - normal stuff.

After racing I took my son out in the increasing breeze - great fun but could we tack, not at all, just didn't have enough way to get through to the other side.

KO (aka James)

Well you can go to www.maricat.com.au and look up hints on tacking or you could try to jst as you are about to pull the rudder across, let go of the sail. Make sure the rudders are still over and as you move accross to the other side pull the boom accross with you. You shold then be pointing in the other directon and be able to pull the sail on and have the rudders straight. I noticed that having a slightly small main sheet rope will allow the boom to release easier. This all helps. If you are still aving problems. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. fome the guy who still makes mistakes.

The most important thing when tacking a cat especially in light conditions is the momentum of t6he boat. What you need to make sure is that you have speed coming into the tack and you are smooth with your rudder movements. You shouldn't just push it to the other side as It tends to stall the boat. Also as Mick noted you should ease you sail as you come towards head to wind, it doesn't have to be a lot but you have too release the tension and not pull it on again until the sail starts filling on the other side. i also recommend practice nothing beats going out and doing 100 tacks.

This is not the answer, but if the winds really blowing and I'm running a cat rig, I find that I can do a full 270 degree jibe quicker than a tack, and come out the other end of it with more speed.

Cat rigged I have all sorts of hassle trying to tack and regulalry get stuck in irons half way through the tack. I then push the boom out to back the boat across the breeze. But that proceedure takes longer to perform than it takes to do the jibe.

Practice is the key as Mick said.

Cheers

Barry

• 4 months later...

hooray, I finally got Piglet to tack.

After spending a good five minutes trying to tack at the start and the stuffing up nearly 100% of tacks on the first three of four windward legs I finally got it sorted for the fifth (and last) and did a bonus windward just to confirm - I went from 10% to 90% - did tack, up to speed, tack, up to speed.

Thank god for that!!!

And a magnificent Saturday it was too.

KO

The problem with gybing on stong winds instead of tacking is you have a very good chance of nosediving the bugger. As seen a few times before the start of races at the states just gone, also at the nationals, same senario. If you decide to gybe it you need to be taking note of what is happening. Safer to tack I thinks, or as Zax said use a jib, a wonderful invention, be a man, sail sooper sloop.

Sailing with a crew just means you have someone to argue with. Sooooper sloooop if you start arguing with your self and you start to loose the argument you got a problem, then you have to get taken away by the nice young men in the clean white coats.

I dunno wot the fuss is about for you closed water sailors.

All you do is sail on one tack till u reach land, get off and turn it around. Then do the same when u get to the other side. Bit of lateral thinking here guys.

We can't do that down here. NZ is a bit far away. So we only sail in a nor'easter..........

Archived