bracing for bow

fangman

My old maricat sail (176) was regularly thrashed in strong winds and big seas by two guys who weighed over 20 stone. They admitted after they sold it to me that they liked rough weather because thats when it really flew. Despite the rough treatment the cat was bulletproof. I sailed it almost every day on lake macquarie for 3 years until I let the dolphin striker loosen and the front beam which was corroded under the mast step slowly bent out of shape.

My 2nd mari developed a crack on the deck just ahead of the front beam. After a lot of hard sailing it lengthened but a repair meant grinding out a 3 inch square section and reglassing/gelcoating it good as new.

I found mari's to be incredibly tough and with routine maintenance very hardy and dependable.

the arrows use a bow spreader setup this stiffens up the hulls preventing undue wear and tear under the beams this setup is also optional on the windrush but no one has one fitted to my knowledge however the maricat association could possibly consider this as an alternative on a spoop and super sloop rigged boat

Hi All

It is fairly common knowledge that the very old boats (Pre No.1000)were made bulletproof, strong but heavy, when I was swapping all the gear from my Mk1 (586) to my Mk2 I looked up the bunghole (no snikkers from the peanut gallery now boys) on both boats and compared the amount of light filtering in through the glass. 586 None, dark as dark in there, Mk2 fairly easy to see inside the hulls. 586 weighed 105KG bare, the MK2 I hav'nt weighed it yet, but it sure is lighter. Mick reckons with the old ones they just used up all the glass and resin that they had mixed whether the boat needed more or not, weight was not a factor to keep an eye on.

Archived