classic division

humungus2

Hi guys,

We have just selected the trophies for the States.

A new division trophy for the classic boats has been made.

Any boat 15years or older will fall into this category. You will still be entitle to the main trophy if you win Pedro.

Perpetual trophies for all 3 classic divisions.

First Junior and First Lady will have trophies.

I am ammazed that somebody out there has a GRP Maricat under 10 years old. I will be even more amazed if it turns up to a regatta.

If the boat turns up and gets a place I will personly purchase a trophy for it.

There has only been 20 GRP boats manufactured since 1996 Where the hell are they. In the last year we have sold 10 boats/sets of hull. Talk about a resurgance.

Sailing at Tanilba Bay on the Sunday. We usually look at going to a regatta that weekend but instead we will be at the Mannering Park regatta this weekend.

So see you at Mannering Park on the weekend or on the Sunday at Tanilba Bay of the Long Weekend. Mick.

Wot r the new ones to be called? - "Plastic Fantastics"?

If a Classic wins a championship will 2 trophies be presented?

Whilst a new "kid" on the block I see something is wrong here. The message being sent out is that the foam boats are sailing off an improper yardstick. This has ramifications for non-class club events, big time.

Fairly, or unfairly, the word "cheating" come to mind.

If fair dinkum the yardstick should be adjusted for foam boats. Therefore no need to have a "classic" division. It seems to be an easy way out to appease those who feel disadvantaged in their GRP boats without doing the hard yards and doing what is fair, not just to Maricat sailors but all of those other cat sailors competing on yardstick at club and mixed regatta level.

And I suspect that nowadays it is rare for maricats to have their own division for club racing.

There seems to be a lot of emotion on this subject and from what I am reading the Association is not doing the right thing.

A $5 trophy is not the answer.

For the last few years the Maricats have struggled on VYC against the other 14ft cats. This is partly due to the developments in classes such as the Paper Tigers and Windrushes.

Many Maricat sailors have thought that the VYCs for these boats should be reduced so that the Maricats can compete. These new foam Maricats, when sailed by good sailors such Mick, Peter, Tony and John, can now compete on equal terms with these boats.

The Maricat Association has accepted (just as the Windrushes did) that a separate division is now required.

"Pointed Reply" is not a foamie and we accept that if we are to compete with the best we will have to upgrade. Or we can keep our old boat and sail against the other 3000 GRP Fibreglass Maricats.

The racing between the GRP Sloop and GRP SuperSloops at the Nationals was just great with often just seconds between boats and races won and lost on the last tack. We did not worry about what the Foamies were up too. Occasionally one of us beat a Foamie and there was much rejoicing and boasting.

for the record windrushes only ever intrduced a classic division for boats over twenty five years old then it was modified for boats not using the mylar sails (the old smaller shape dacron only)these boats had modified yardsticks of two minutes from memory this was effective 1993 to my knowledge mylar sails intoduced 1992 nats @ PKSC

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65843

has a thread about the English Merlin Rocket dinghy. It's a development class that has been popular for decades. Costs about the same as a new 5o5, constantly changing but still gets fleets in the hundred. Change isn't something to fear, but maybe does need to be managed a little better.

Tornado class has two yardstick ratings.

Windrush no longer have a yardstick rating. They appear to have gone down the "classic" dinosaur path.

PT is 91.5. Does this mean that if foamies are now competitive with PTs then their yardstick should be 91.5 and not 94. Or have I missed something (misinterpreted?) here?

Originally posted by humungus2:

Sailing at Tanilba Bay on the Sunday. We usually look at going to a regatta that weekend but instead we will be at the Mannering Park regatta this weekend.

So see you at Mannering Park on the weekend or on the Sunday at Tanilba Bay of the Long Weekend. Mick.

What time do boats rig up if I want to have a peek at a foamie?

Mannering Park has foam boats on a yardstick of 92 and at that they are competitive with the good P/T,s in our club ( Kim and Ian Markovitch), the GRP boats of 94 are also competitive (Only with top sailors and V/good sails). I believe that 92 is close to the Mark for Foamies and should be generally adopted, If we hope to encourage greater participation at State and Nat Champs. I will be interested to see what Koonawarra does re foam Y/S.

Archived