Sails

Spectre

Hi guys, I am seeking some advice.

Was thinking of getting new boat but as a retiree funds are not there at the moment. However, with the approval of "she who must be obeyed" I might try for a new sail if I remain a good boy.

There seems to be a number of different sails that are legal. I saw the pic of the stolen one. So how many different sail types are there, who makes the best, and what are the prices?

Most boats use sails from Geoff Adams, Adams Sails and these have been horizontal cut white sails.

I am currently using a yellow radial cut sail from Redhead Sails, mostly I like this for the colour but have been very happy with the performance.

Chris Cairns also makes very good Maricat sails. Radial or Horizonal cut sails are allowed so long as made from dacron and fit the profile measurements. I think you can't go wrong from either of these 3 sailmakers who are all making current maricat sails. Cost for a main is roughly $1200

Looking at the results, the best sails would have to be from Adams Sails.

Gday Zax

Probably time to replace it. A really good used one may suit.

In the old days I used to replace sail every season and a half. They had the same sail number (2222) which must have led to some confusion when I sold them separately.

I guess the next question is one of performance between radial and horizontal cut sails.

Good news for the forum is that I will be off line for several days. Heading "home" to Port Stephens.

When I spoke to Dave at Eastwind sails he expressed a little confusion (and frustration with the class because they don't appear to keep approved sailmakers up to date).

He is an "approved" sailmaker (while he understands Redhead isn't).

He also said that the only place that a seam is allowed is on the batten pockets therefore no batten - no seam, this would seem to rule out radial cut sails.

It does make me think though (when seeing Zax's nice carbon main) that we could just bung up what we want, join the "traffic" and take what handicap is meted out. Me - I still have to learn to tack and recover from capsize so it'll be a while!!

The jury is still out on the performance difference between the radial and horizontal cut sails. My preference is for the radial cut but others have not come to the same conclusion. I did manage to win the National Super Sloop Title with a radial cut and last weekend finished in front of the current National Cat rigged champ while sailing cat rigged in an 8 race series on Lake Maquarie. I have no doubt at all that the radial sails perform well.

Another maricat sailor from Mannering Park was the first to start using the radial cut sails. He has had 2 of these and now sold both and back to a horizontal cut Adams sail.

Whether or not the radial cut is better, I would still use it as its more colourful.

At the Maricat Association NSW/ACT AGM 2 years back a vote was taken to allow all sail makers to be allowed to produce Maricat Sails. That is why Ian from Redhead sails is now making sails (including my current main and jib). The motion for this was put forward by the Tanilba Bay sailors.

Given that there has been no other active Association until Queenland recently started up again... Other mari's around the country should not really be expected to have to buy sails from a small number of NSW sailmakers. That was one of the reasons for making the vote to allow all sailmakers legal.

Once again, given that there have been no other active Maricat Associations for some time, it would be hoped that any new ones would simply adopt the current set of rules from the NSW/ACT Association (provided they are not against the interests of the manufacturer).

If a seam was only allowed on the batten pockets I would be a little worried about my leach and luff smile.gif

Went to Tanilba on Sunday (didn't get mugged and went by boat to avoid the car being be stolen).

Had a look at Mick's new radial. Looks nice in red but very flat and can't see how it can be made fuller all that easily apart from ageing (bit like me).

Hung around and watched from the water the first race. Mick seemed to be struggling against others with horizontal cut sails. Admittedly it was the first time the sail had been up. Is it possible that it goes better with a jib than on its own??

Maybe Mick can reply with his views on the sail and how it performed in the later races. I only watched for a short time and it would be unfair to reach a verdict whilst the jury is out. Also gusty NE wind around 15-20Kts I guessed.

Loved the new lightweight boat. Particularly the new rudder system and the dual cleated 8:1 downhaul.

Came back and raked the mast back further and now can't tack the thing without the jib. Will try again today before taking some rake out. Currently the top of the mast aligns with the back beam with the deck perfectly horizontal.

The sail is going to take a bit of getting use to. The 15 - 20 knots suites me fine but also suites everyone else form Tanilba. The down haul is very critical on this sail. Just a 1/2" can be the difference between 10 degrease up wind. She had lots of power and my first thoughts are that it is a good sail. I just need to learn about it. Maybe even read a book on it unless I can pick someones brains. The other option I have is to practice, practice, practice. I will make some more coments down the track a few weeks. Happy to receive tips on tweeking her.

Originally posted by ZAX:

Most boats use sails from Geoff Adams, Adams Sails and these have been horizontal cut white sails.

I am currently using a yellow radial cut sail from Redhead Sails, mostly I like this for the colour but have been very happy with the performance.

Chris Cairns also makes very good Maricat sails. Radial or Horizonal cut sails are allowed so long as made from dacron and fit the profile measurements. I think you can't go wrong from either of these 3 sailmakers who are all making current maricat sails. Cost for a main is roughly $1200

Looking at the results, the best sails would have to be from Adams Sails.

Gday John

If u have a pic of your sail can u email me on david.lambert3@bigpond.com.

I have seen several colours on the radials and am leaning towards yellow or black. However, the "ice blue" i saw on a pic of "sweet sixteen" matches the decks.

Although having seen Mick's radial I am wondering whether they are worth the extra $$.

Originally posted by humungus2:

New sail maricat sail $1,171.17

new battern set $304.50

add 250.00 for a radial cut sail.

Phone Maricat Catamarans NSW mick 0419999785

email maricat@optusnet.com.au

What's the rules on sail numbers?

Saw on photo gallery some new sails with very low numbers (16 and 50).

Is it necessary to have it sequential or can I ask for a number. eg when I got 2222 (a very long time ago) the sequential numbering was in the 1800s and I had two 2222 sails made.

Does someone keep a register? For example could I have 666?

The low sail Nos were ex John Merle sails, (Sweet Sixteen, and Zax 5000), with 0,s removed 5088 is another ex 5000 sail. Sail No,s seem to be a matter of convenience or choice as long as 2 the same don't turn up at the same reggatta. I have a couple of these sails in very good cond for $700.

Hi Spectre,

The new boats are now starting at 5600 and the manufacturer is starting to incorperate the sail number into the hull number. In the old days they just put it on the boat in texter under the front beam. when it comes to nats of states there can only be one number on the water at the same time. The bottom line is if you sell your boat with that sail number then the number is gone. Just as long as there is not the same number at the titles at the same time.

Originally posted by darcy1945:

The low sail Nos were ex John Merle sails, (Sweet Sixteen, and Zax 5000), with 0,s removed 5088 is another ex 5000 sail. Sail No,s seem to be a matter of convenience or choice as long as 2 the same don't turn up at the same reggatta. I have a couple of these sails in very good cond for $700.

Can u send details to david.lambert3@bigpond.com

Archived