Batemans Bay

Pointed Reply

Sorry mate. No kidding, she has just had her third knee replacment in the same knee and it is just to far to travel to early. She was keen but she just isn't ready yet.

Last time we were there we enjoyed our selves and thats why she wanted to go back.

If the weather forecast of strong gusty westerlies doesn't happen I may join in.

Last time I raced on the bay on ANZAC weekend was 1983 (which I won) in similar forecast conditions and much of the fleet of about 90 cats didn't finish the regatta.

But now being 64 I suspect that my Mrs (and me) may also say no if weather is as forecast.

Water temp is a pleasant 19.6 which is about the same as Newcastle. Air temp will be about 22. Could be great conditions if the wind behaves.

Only 3 Maricats turned up.

The small cat division was won by a PT with a Hobie turbo 2nd.

Spectre made a return to racing after a layoff of 25 years and came 3rd. Not bad considering only 2 of the 4 races were sailed for a 1, 1, DNS, DNS.

C ya next year Mick................

Hey Rodney

Don't know what batemans was like but speers point was a mixed bag, between rain squalls, becalmed, 5 to 10 knots at times, sunshine a bit of 15 knots and a gale all in one race. Interesting to say the least. Lake was a bit on the nose with all the runoff from the rain, I passed a dark furry looking roundish thing floating just below the water that looked fairly dead, but by that time the wind was up and I was'nt about to stop and investigate. Gave a bit of incentive to keep the boat upright though.

Hi PR

Batemans bay on the Saturday saw about 8-10 knots for race 1 and bugger all for race 2 which was shortened. Real crap conditions, 1-2 knots and a steep chop left behind from the earlier breeze. Took an hour to get back to the beach.

Sunday defied the strong wind forecast. Both races in 15-20kt northerly with gusts to 25+kts. Some breakages apparently and several DNFs. Probably the reason I scraped a 3rd.

I didn't venture out because of the forecast. Stupid me. Next time i won't believe 'em and will probably get hammered.

Originally posted by Pointed Reply:

We should make an effort next season to round up a few Maricats and come down to Coila for a weekend. If the club organised a mini regatta a few may come down. Would it be possible to camp at the sailing club.

I haven't raced at Coila (yet)and am not a member of the BBSC. I doubt if there is a clubhouse at Coila. There is a clubhouse at Batemans Bay. There are a couple of camping grounds at Tuross Head (Coila).

Best to try a contact Roger Freney at the BBSC. I think web-site is something like www.bbsc.org.au.

They could be interested in running a south coast small cat regatta or similar if they thought they would get numbers.

Many, many years ago the Association used to run a Travellers Trophy. Do they still do it? I can recall down south there was a regatta at Lake Wallagoot (Tathra)at the start of the season, a mid-season one at Eden, and end season was the Anzac one at Batemans Bay. The ACT Championships (MariACT)was also included.

The Maricat Association is working towards a Super Series, which initially will be a number of nominated or supported events. We may have a point score with appropriate handicaps to encourage more people to compete including an allowance for the age of skipper and boat, retro sails and an appropriate HUGE handicap for Mick.

But mainly it will be to encourage Maricat sailors to come to regattas knowing there will be other Maricats to sail against.

Suggested events may be: Mannering Park 14ft in October, ACT Multihulls in October, Kembla Klassic in November, Maricat National in January, Tanilba Bay in February, Maricat States in March/April and Batemans Bay in April.

Have you considered using the Koonawarra Bay 14ft Cat Regatta as a venue for the proposed Super Series? It is a ready-made event aimed at small cats.

This coming season's event will be held on the 14th & 15th February, but it is always held on the second FULL weekend in February. This will be the 16th running of the event.

While Koonawarra Bay doesn't have its own fleet of Maricats, the event usually attracts a good number of them. This regatta offers good fleets, racing, courses and race management.

Anyway, I just wanted to highlight it as a possible event. Please post any questions you may have about the regatta.

Regards,

Dave.

Koonawarra (on Lake Illawarra) is a great regatta, very friendly and usually a good turn out. It is close to the time of the Tanilba regatta and they have a big home fleet of Maricats. The Association has also talked about going to regattas which have family friendly camping (ie: cheap and safe).

Archived