kitty cat

bush pig

A few years on from the discussion. They used to be sailed in good numbers at Latrobe Valley, Williamstown and Nedlands (wa). I sailed one for 6 years competing in nationals and state titles.  We would get 30 boats at the nationals. If you want any more detail give me a call 0409 365977. Paul

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Just found these pages and although originally an old post, I saw John D. posted in March this year.  My grandfather Sid Stroud used to build these cats in Coffs Harbour and I can still remember the mould he made for the Coffs Harbour Sailing Club (as it was then, and known now as the Coffs Harbour Yacht Club).  He is skippering That Darn Cat in the attached photo. I was only 8 years old in May 1969 when this was taken off the Jetty in Coffs Harbour back then, but I was the one to come up with the name of the new cat.  My brother and grandfather drove to Perth in 69 or 70 for the Australian ? or South Pacific ? championships along with one other kitty from Coffs. The other kitty's in the photo are Banana J (the dark hull) and Felix behind TDC.  There is one Kitty left in Coffs as at 2021 but it hasn't been in the water for years. Most of the others went to Grafton I believe when Coffs started to sail Hobie Cats.  But imho Hobies just don't have the look or feel of a 12 foot Kitty running 380 square foot of sail  compared to a Hobie 16's 218.

Looking for a hull to restore if anyone knows of one around?

That Darn Cat.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have very fond memories of sailing a few seasons with Gavin Agar, at Nedlands Yacht Club, on the Swan River. It was 1968,69. We took the boat (which he built----we me "holding" things, whilst he did the important stuff) for our year 10 woodwork assignment. We took "Tequila" to the Nationals in Coffs Harbor". 2 cats on a double decker trailer, across the Nullabor. I think we came 5th. A very exciting & physical yacht to sail. A lot of yeeeehaaa factor on a reach.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2022 at 8:31 AM, Leon Cox said:

I have very fond memories of sailing a few seasons with Gavin Agar, at Nedlands Yacht Club, on the Swan River. It was 1968,69. We took the boat (which he built----we me "holding" things, whilst he did the important stuff) for our year 10 woodwork assignment. We took "Tequila" to the Nationals in Coffs Harbor". 2 cats on a double decker trailer, across the Nullabor. I think we came 5th. A very exciting & physical yacht to sail. A lot of yeeeehaaa factor on a reach.

Hi Leon, Gavin Ager is my father:) He has spent his entire life in the marine industry and as an M5 Skipper, hr holds the same fond memories as you. Any chance you have any photos of Tequila or you/him sailing back then? Our family would truly love to see them if you do! Regards, Claire.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2024 at 11:22 PM, The Agers said:

Hi Leon, Gavin Ager is my father:) He has spent his entire life in the marine industry and as an M5 Skipper, hr holds the same fond memories as you. Any chance you have any photos of Tequila or you/him sailing back then? Our family would truly love to see them if you do! Regards, Claire.

Hello Claire. I apologize for taking so, so long to reply to you. My mobile 0419 369339. leoncox53@hotmail.com  I do have some photos of your father, the boat, & our epic journey across the Nullarbor. He was a very, very innovative thinker, & put that into good use, even as such a young man. He had all the talent that I didn't. Gosh we had some fun. His EK Holden, that great house on the river in Applecross (I lived just up the road in Fraser Road), his fantastic hairstyle !!! Send me your email address, & I'll do my best to find those old photos. Sincerely, Leon Cox (still best mates with Nick Ganfield, who also sailed with your dad) ps I swam solo to Rottnest Feb 2023. Great experience.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:22 PM, The Agers said:

Hello Claire. I apologize for taking so, so long to reply to you. My mobile 0419 369339. leoncox53@hotmail.com  I do have some photos of your father, the boat, & our epic journey across the Nullarbor. He was a very, very innovative thinker, & put that into good use, even as such a young man. He had all the talent that I didn't. Gosh we had some fun. His EK Holden, that great house on the river in Applecross (I lived just up the road in Fraser Road), his fantastic hairstyle !!! Send me your email address, & I'll do my best to find those old photos. Sincerely, Leon Cox (still best mates with Nick Ganfield, who also sailed with your dad) ps I swam solo to Rottnest Feb 2023. Great experience.