Newbie - Repairing a Maricat 4.3

manderson

You have an early Mark 1. Mark 2s were built from the early 80s. The last dozen or so boats have been built by Brisbane Cat Centre. Assuming your sail is original you probably have the 510th boat built.

The Maricat website (www.maricat.com.au) has a brief history and lots of photos.

The hot bed of Maricat sailing is around Newcastle in NSW. The NSW and ACT State titles will be held at Mannering Park in October. The Maricats have been tuned and tweeked over the years but are still basically the same boat. Main change is probably the sails. My 2006 sail has much more power and performance that the original 1986 version.

All new spares are available from the Brisbane Cat Centre or from Humungus. Darcy has a big stock of second hand bits.

Keep asking questions and posting photos and the guys will answer with enthusiasm.

Regards

Rodney Anderson

President

Maricat Association of NSW & ACT

See, I said you had a funny name !!

The club Maricat at the Humpybong yacht Club at Woody point, Redcliffe, Brisbane has a sail number in the 500's but is probably near new as it is in good nick.

Mark2 I would suggest you ask around for a more modern 2ndhand sail rather than put up with your original. That one has seen better days and won't produce anywhere near the performance of a newer one you could p[ick up relatively cheap.

Make sure that dolphin striker is bloody tight or the main beam, if it is corroded through years of neglect, can collapse at the worst times. Don't ask me how I know.

Mark1

Hey there Pointed Reply (AKA Rodney)

Yeah, Ok, now I get why you said I have a funny name!

Thanks for explaining all that for me. Interesting to know that she is so old. I didn't realise. Seems in pretty good nick for her age then I recon, cause I know she spent years (possibly 10) sitting in the sun on a farm before I acquired her.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Don't worry, I'm sure I will have MANY more questions and photos for the guys. I'm thinking of writing a blog about the process of doing her up actually, could be an interesting and fun way of doing it, and could help to get more interest in the sport, and maybe could become another collection of all the advice all the guys have. Anyway, will see how it goes.

Hey there QB2 (Mark 1). Thanks for the advice. good to know where the club is now! I'll see if I can get myself in the backdoor oneday when she is in better shape.

I might do that actually - I'm sure someone might have one lying around.

Also, thanks for the advice re the Dolphin Striker - it looks a bit worn, so I will probably replace it I think. Mick suggested replacing it with a thicker one too.

Mark2

While a better sail would be nice, it is probably not the first job. After a good clean up you should check for leaks. They will leak on the tramp track rivets, the rubber pindles and the bungs. Funny thing that the place that leaks the most is the thing that drains the hulls. The new boats don't have bungs but deck hatches. The method of checking for leaks is set out in other posts but....mix up a solution of soapie water in a spray bottle. Put a piece of hose up the bung and blow...GENTLY with either a large lunged friend or a vaccum cleaner on blow. Spray the soapie water and where it bubbles is a leak !! They almost never leak under the gunnel rubber so leave that alone. Take off the beams and check for corrosion. If the boat has not been raced hard or mistreated the hulls should be in pretty good condition.

Don't be 'spooked' by age. These old plastic boats have an ability to last. I also have a Careel 18 and there were about 450 of these built, mainly in the 70's. Current national winner is No47 and mine No 200 was built in 1975.

Ones to be very careful of are cored boats, in those days balsa and foam were used and these could get waterlogged resulting in soft, heavy boats. Thankfully both Careels and Mari's are solid and they brush up real nice.

Don't however expect a big resale value and like Darcy says don't overcapitalise. What you'll get is a heap of fun and great racing, even against the newest foam cored Mari's.

Oh, and the dolphin striker, just tight, not overtight otherwise it goes the other way!! I think the tuning guide that PR put up says how to measure it.

Remember also that s/s wire corrodes particularly when it's encased in plastic so five years would be a good guide there. Best bet would be sail it on a lake first, that way if the mast comes down you can just sit there and wait till you hit shore! do that on Moreton Bay and you may have to wait quite a time!!

• 5 months later...

Hello again everyone.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Well I have now set myself a goal...the plan is to have Mystic (the Mari I have been carrying on about) finished in time for next summer. That gives me 3/4 of a year. Anyway, I hope to be leaving posts here as I go through it incase anyone is interested at the time. And perhaps I might end up begging for advice etc.

Anyway, feel free to hassle me and check how I am going on my goal at times, that will help me stay on track. Pretty sad that I am too busy to get to working on this "new" hobby of mine hey!

Hope you are all well, and thanks again for your advice.

Mark

Ha, serious? I have noticed there isn't as much info around as I had hoped for on the Maricats. Perhaps we can change that on this forum. Anyway, You now know my boat, in her less than finer glory - hopefully I can have something better to show over the coming months

Mark

I remember the mdastudios website :)

Just make sure you post up the restoration in the "Shed Talk" forum!

I remember the mdastudios website :)

Just make sure you post up the restoration in the "Shed Talk" forum!

Ah I see. MDA Studios is my business website. I just used it to put the images up cause it was easy access.

Ok, thanks. will do. Might have to add more images as I go also.

Wash first with "30 seconds", (any good h/ware store), then if it looks good when wet just polish it or use penetrol marine oil. What you have is a very early Mk1, you should give me a call on 02 43591729, before you start spending money you need to know where to look for problems which may be terminal, Mast, beams, tramp tracks, rudder pintles, dolphin striker, stay to hull attachment points, etc.

Archived