Spinnaker on a Windrush

NickS

Hi, Before I get too enthusiastic about fitting a pole etc to the Windrush 14, would it matter that the Windrush doesn't have any centreboard or dagger boards; such as the AO, 430 etc. I can't find the reference but seem to remember someone writing that you need the boards down when flying the asymmetrical spinnaker. Also has anyone already tried it with the Windrush.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have a simple line diagram of what lines I need to hoist and retract the spinnaker? I have enough hassle with the main and jib lines trying to wash off the back of the trampoline so I would like it all to be as self contained as possible. Has anyone tried the furled style as opposed to pulling it out of the snuffer etc? I find the idea of launching and retreiving the spinnaker as well as steering a little daunting but I'm willing to give it a go.

Thanks, my email is nshard@hotmail.com

I'm especially interested in what lines I'd need to successfully retrieve the spinnaker single handed. The halyards etc for getting it up don't seem too hard to work out, but getting it back down worries me a little...I'd hate to become all entangled and tear the spinnaker and looking a total pratt isn;t high on my list if to do's

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Brett tried a kite on a Windrush 14 at the nationals last year (WA)in Busselton, used a cherub kite and rigged up few other bits and pieces. Kite wasnt quite right but he said it was a bit of fun. Ill try dig up some photos of it sailing, now where did i put them.....

As for boards, on the F18 we only have about 20% of the board down when under kite. With the windrush' assymetric hulls you shouldnt need boards

• 4 weeks later...

Mast head should be no problem just keep the main locked tight. IF you do not have a cam cleat....you can't do this.

The main is the running back stay and you can only use your traveller to adjust it.

Keep trim with spinny sheet only.

I am at present fitting a factory mast head to my H17 with that floppy comtip.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by MikeDean:

Nick,

Any progress to report or pics of yr project?

Regards

Mike Dean

Have all the pulleys, rope, bowsprit,but unfortunately not the most important part...a sail. I'm keeping my eye out for a suitable size asymetric at the moment but they don't come up too often. Also saving some cash for a new one if it comes to that. Hopefully not as that is a slow process with a non sailing partner who can not understand why I'd even want to do it, let alone spend money she feels would be better spent. Nick

• 8 years later...
On 28/02/2008 at 3:43 PM, TornadoSport260 said:

whats your email nick and i'll send something across.

Is there any chance you could email me a copy please dongaratv@gmail.com I'm trying to setup a roller reefing code 0, and its interesting to see other peoples ideas. Thanks

On 02/06/2008 at 3:39 AM, NickS said:

Have all the pulleys, rope, bowsprit,but unfortunately not the most important part...a sail. I'm keeping my eye out for a suitable size asymetric at the moment but they don't come up too often. Also saving some cash for a new one if it comes to that. Hopefully not as that is a slow process with a non sailing partner who can not understand why I'd even want to do it, let alone spend money she feels would be better spent. Nick

Hong Kong sail company will make you a new one for about $300.00. They are making me a code 0 at the moment. We have used there sails before and they make a nice sail

Archived