Replacement Blocks

ptchad

Hi, I have an older fibreglass paper tiger that I need to replace the mainsheet blocks. Can someone advise me on the best models to use? My intention is to use Ronstan. I believe my mainsheet is 10mm. This is far from a high tech racing boat so I am looking for something of reasonable price and quality.

G'day,

There are a number of mainsheet systems in use on Paper Tigers. Probably the most common is a 6:1 where the final fall is towards the front of the tramp.

In other words, the mainsheet is tied off on a block on the traveller car, led up to the boom, down to the block on the traveller, up to the boom, down to the block on the traveller, up to the boom, then led forward, then down to the tramp.

This arrangement can be achieved in a number of ways.

One option is to use 4 Ronstan Series 30 blocks on the boom (3 at the rear, 1 towards the front). The block to use here is RF30101. These may seem quite small, but work well with 10mm rope. You could also use the slightly bigger Series 40 blocks. These would be RF40101.

An alternative is to use a triple block on the boom at the rear. I would recommend a Series 40 here, being RF40300.

At the bottom, in all cases, I would use a Series 40 double block with becket on the traveller car, with the best option being RF40212.

At the front, I would use a ratchet block, with RF1720 being ideal. This would be mounted on the fore-aft beam (the aluminium section joining the front and rear beams).

Please let me know if any of this is confusing or if you need any additional information.

There are pictures of typical mainsheet arrangements for Paper Tigers on the web site at www.papertigercatamaran.org

Regards,

David Stumbles

Publicity Officer

Paper Tiger Catamaran International Association.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tom Serna

Just a little query dave, about the block size you recommend. I am doing a little chandlery shopping myself and have the ronstan catalogue handy as a result. They actually recommend the 30 series for maximum 8mm rope and I dont know what would be gained in using a different block size to the bottom double block. Just a mental thing I guess but the 30 to me looks a little small for the job. boy does some new rope and modern BB blocks make a difference though!

Regards,

Tom.

G'day Tom,

How's WA?

I use Series 30 with 10mm rope and they work fine, but certainly nothing wrong with bigger blocks. Just don't like to use bigger than is necessary.

The advantage of smaller blocks is only really weight, or possibly room if you are getting "block-to-block" with the mainsheet in strong winds.

Regards,

Dave.

Guest Tom Serna

Not bad Dave.

I have just been doing some repairs on the PT this week to get her in the water for whats left of the season. Didn't get much done during the christmas break, but was very busy socially! I really hope I could get over there for a tigersail next year as it would be great to pick up some pointers from the pros. Just want to ask you a couple of questions while I have the chance to save creating a new thread.

1. I think I told you before that the sail number of my boat is 2001 (no prizes for guessing why its called odyssey , anyone) I just wonder if you have any records on it, when it was built.. all I know is it was previously owned by a guy called Bill Neilson and was probably built in the early 80s

2. what sort of dolphin striker preload tension do you run? I have not adjusted mine at all since taking ownership of the boat, and I do notice the bows spreading somewhat when beating on windy days.

Happy Tigering

Tom.

Tom,

Good to hear you're enjoying it all.

It's a long way to come for a Tigersail weekend, but if you're keen...

A better prospect might be a Nationals. The next one is Tasmania (see the event web site at http://ausnats2006.papertigercatamaran.org) and the one after that is NSW (you just missed the one in SA).

My info on 2001 is that it was owned by someone Bryant, but no other info at this stage. There are some Victorian guys who would definitely know. I know that 2002 ("U-Name-It") was also sailed in WA by Trevor Cann, who won the first PT Internationals (although still a Victorian at the time). His brother won a Nationals and Internationals and his father won a Nationals. Still, no real info on your boat though.

I like to have around 3 - 4mm pre-bend in my front beam, so I adjust my dolphin striker to achieve that. This can be checked by placing a straight-edge between the two hulls against the front beam and seeing how much the beam is raised in the middle in comparison to the straight-edge.

This measurement is done before the boat is rigged. When rigged, you should definitely not have any sag, so ensure the beam is at least straight or even raised in the middle by a mm or 2. The difference between rigged and unrigged bend will depend on the amount of rig tension you have. Adjusting the dolphin striker will affect the rig tension, so you may need to re-adjust stay lengths.

Regards,

Dave.

Guest Tom Serna

Yea, I bought the boat off Rod Bryant. he got something like 3rd in a nationals on it one year. The boat originally belonged to the guy I mentioned. Just going thru a couple of NSW sites at the moment.. Looking at some pics of a boat called cut ' n 'run , the amount of gear on this boat is phenomenal! that has to be the penultimate PT setup.

Maybe if I could make it over for one of those events, perhaps a charitable soul might lend me a serviceable boat? I dont know. I plan on making a trip eastwards at some point anyway, as I've never seen the east coast before. It would be lovely to see PTs sailing in a fleet.

Yes, "Cut N Run" is a very well presented and equipped boat. It is sailed at my own club (Koonawarra Bay SC) by Ralph Skea (NSWPTCA President). Even better, Ralph likes to do things for as little cost as possible, so a lot of it is home made, rather than purchasing big expensive items.

There are a number of Kiwi boats that are equally impressive in gear used and systems set up, but they have generally used top line off-the-shelf gear.

We would love to have you over here some time. I am sure we can line you up a reasonable boat as well. One of the States or Nationals would be well worthwhile. If you're quick, the Victorian States are on this weekend!!!

Regards,

Dave.

Guest Tom S.

Very well Dave, Don't think I'll make it for the Vic one though LOL

I'd like to see if I could get the design for his double tailed vang setup. Double tailed downhauls are quite common but its the vang you find yourself adjusting in on every tack.

cheers

T.S.

Guest Tom S.

Very well Dave, Don't think I'll make it for the Vic one though LOL

I'd like to see if I could get the design for his double tailed vang setup. Double tailed downhauls are quite common but its the vang you find yourself adjusting in on every tack.

cheers

T.S.

Dave, I decided to go with Ronstan 40 series with three singles on the boom and a double with a becket on the traveller. Boy what a difference! I really appreciate your advise.

Do you know of any books or printed info about sailing and tuning papertigers that I could purchase?

Regards

PTChad

Tom - I will try to get some details from Ralph and send them to you.

Chad - There is a PT Tuning Manual, but I think it is out of print. I will ask if any copies still exist. Otherwise, you can post your e-mail address here (or send me your contact details to feedback at papertigercatamaran.org) and I will send you some appropriate extracts from it.

Regards,

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tom Serna

howdy Dave, did you manage to get any info about that vang setup?

I'm also keen to know if there are any beach rollers available to suit PTs. I also swear I saw some commercially made foam hull blocks on some website but I cant seem to find it again. can anyone shed some light?

Archived