Sailboat Supplies

berny

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there why dont you try pridemarine.com in canada When I had my 26 footer I bought a bit of gear from them and the service was pretty good. The Canadian dollars is almost $ for $ for AUST. They are some times a bit slow in posting but the prices are good. They sell Harkin gear at about 30% less than here in Aus.

Les

Originally posted by berny:

Gees I've had a gut full of Bias and Whitworths. Any other retail outlets where I can get some blocks etc?

Man I miss The Boatshop.

Berny

Hi Berny

Why not do what many other sailors do.

Contact the Brisbane Catamaran Centre,

Ph 07 32714944,

they stock all kinds, makes, sizes, shapes, colours, prices of almost any thing any sailor requires, usually overnight delivery if required ,Eftpos available.

pete smile.gif

Dollar is great against US at the moment so buy Harken on the net....they send at a reasonable price and will put several things into one package.

Originally posted by berny:

Gees I've had a gut full of Bias and Whitworths. Any other retail outlets where I can get some blocks etc?

Man I miss The Boatshop.

Berny

When The Boat Shop in Gladesville was operating, it was absolutely the best sailboat chandler I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Best range, almost anything you needed was 'IN STOCK' at best prices with the best service and just bloody good ppl to deal with all ways round.

Bias and Whitworths by comparison are bloody hopeless. Their websites suck and none of the ppl they employ know jack about sailboat stuff, or anything else mush either. Bias wants to charge me $15 freight from the supplier or their own bloody warehouse, for just about everything I want including the pintles I bought recently, and some Ronstan blocks I need and can you believe it even sailing boots.

Will I use them?

Not while ever my arse points down.

I've brought all my stuff for my Nacra and Maricat through BCC, including all my repair items, safety gear and wetsuits etc.

I admit I don't generally shop around, and as yet I've never brought anything from BCC and later thought the item was over priced for what it was, or seen the same item significantly cheaper elsewhere.

The other thing I find with BCC is that their service and knowledge is great. I don't always know the correct name of the "thing" I need, and they have no trouble working it out, even over the phone. Try doing that with the staff at Bias or Whitworths (LOL).

Cheers

Barry

I have just ordered a Harken airblock mainsheet set and xtras on line.

I am saving 35% or more.

I don't buy Ronstan here unless I have to. They are crazy prices and the main supplier of Ronny in Whangarei has just gone to Harken because he is sick of Ronny and their prices.

Ronstan have enjoyed a period of popularity that is at a tipping point I think.

Noticing a wide variety of on-line prices for Harken blocks - so it pays to shop around. I have found following range of prices for a 2630 (57mm, ratchamatic, triple with cam and becket)

Catsailor.net USD 231.30

Harken website USD 227.00

Mauri USD 192.90

Sailnet.com USD 177.06

marine.com USD 177.06

I havent checked out freight differences for each of these, so not sure of the net cost to an Australian address.

Mike

People who buy from overseas are so shortsighted - Don't forget that when you order from the US site --

Think

IF Customs get hold of the parcel you will have to pay

1. clearance charges

2. GST on the Australian Dollar Amount

3. Freight

4. Most Freight does not cover insurance to Aust so add a bit here

+

You will almost certainly NOT have a warranty in Australia

and if you order the wrong thing or it breaks or does not turn up - you are stuffed !!

And if you keep buying from overseas when the Aussie goes back down (and it will - I remember only a couple of years ago it was .48c its now .87 and has not been here in 18 years) you will have no one left in Australia selling parts.

Don't forget it is the businesses in Australia that support Australian sailing. The likes of marine.com and sail.net will not be at your local regattas.

Also remember that stores in the US have a population of 260 Million to sell to. Australia has a population of 23 Million -

The costs of keeping all this stock available just so that the sailor can phone up and expect to have the part delivered before the weekend costs money.

[This message has been edited by catsailor.net (edited 19 July 2007).]

I don't want to be pedantic, but the population of Australia according to the ABS population clock website was 20,017,070 as of 1515 20/7. [about 10 million too many in my opinion]. And the population of the USA was 302,388,035 (about 150 million too many] according to their equivalent population clock.

But I undertand your point of view.

Archived