Sailboat Supplies

berny

In my opinion good local service is invaluable. To be able to call your local dealer, who ever it may be, is priceless.

I personally buy all my gear from a BCC, they offer a good service and often it is just an email and they have your goods away that day. Obvioulsy the likes of Mal Gray, and also catsailor.net offer such a service and i think they all deserve a bit more loyalty from local sailors.

I buy all my hardware for work from my local Mitre 10, i can not stand Bunnings. I know M10 may a bit more pricy but being able to walk into a store where they know your name, appreciate your business and take the time to assist you, to me this is a priceless item.

Just my thoughts!

Just got back from Bunnings....

I've got a M10 nearest to me but always drive the extra 2 kms to a Bunnings because I've found the experience to be opposite to yours.

M10 has no more than 3 staff on at any one time, most are too busy doing something else and I can never find what I want there, some time I can find something there only to find out they're short of quantity.

Bunnings always has someone free to help, I can almost always find what I want, and the price is always cheaper than M10. The staff might not know my name but always know what I need and point me in the right direction (often the manager is on the shop floor and he just about knows where every nut and bolt is in the entire shop). I also appreciate the trailer loan for large items, help with lifting heavy stuff into the car, plenty of parking, playground for the kids, & sausage sizzles ....by now you'll probably realise I'm a Bunnings addict, in fact I have to earning frequent Bunnings point before my wife lets me go :).

Can't fault Bunnings except their stores don't have air-cond whilst my local M10 is. I also know I'm supporting the locals because most of the staff live in the area.

Re' buying boat gear from overseas, that's a different kettle of fish. When I owned boats I always shopped local, like everyone else here has said, it's good to support the ozzie guy so he can keep parts on hand, provide warranty support, and most importantly support the local boating industry, and promote boating as a family sport/leisure activity. Sure you can save a few $bob$ but do you want to eventually wait 3 weeks to import a shackle, or phone usa/thailand to ask them what gauge your side stays are? I take my stays down to Glasscraft, the bloke behind the counter measures them and makes new ones to length within a couple of days, I'd pay more than a few $bob$ for this kind of convenience.

Cheers

Originally posted by barefoot:

Just got back from Bunnings....

I've got a M10 nearest to me but always drive the extra 2 kms to a Bunnings because I've found the experience to be opposite to yours.

M10 has no more than 3 staff on at any one time, most are too busy doing something else and I can never find what I want there, some time I can find something there only to find out they're short of quantity.

Bunnings always has someone free to help, I can almost always find what I want, and the price is always cheaper than M10. The staff might not know my name but always know what I need and point me in the right direction (often the manager is on the shop floor and he just about knows where every nut and bolt is in the entire shop). I also appreciate the trailer loan for large items, help with lifting heavy stuff into the car, plenty of parking, playground for the kids, & sausage sizzles ....by now you'll probably realise I'm a Bunnings addict, in fact I have to earning frequent Bunnings point before my wife lets me go :).

Can't fault Bunnings except their stores don't have air-cond whilst my local M10 is. I also know I'm supporting the locals because most of the staff live in the area.

So you're from plannet.......??

Oh I see, you work for Bunnings.

First off, no I don't work for Bunnings (though I wonder how much discount the staff gets and wouldn't mind doing a couple of hours a week just to get the discount).

and ...

Just like shopping at my local boat supplies ...I especially like the convenience of a Bunnings, I go there I know I'll find what I need, in fact I'm lucky enough to have 2 Bunnings near me, Bald Hills and Redcliffe, both these stores have served me well compared to the M10 at Kallangur. My first experience at M10, I want a dynabolt to hang a clothes line, none of the size I wanted, so I go for a larger one, masonry drill bit to suit wasn't available, I say see ya later, off to Bald Hills Bunnings two minutes later I'm a happy customer. Don't even ask me about matching paint colours at M10!

cheers

Originally posted by warbird:

Support our own when they support us. Business attitude is to make the biggest margin possible. It is a bit rich to then want to be a pitty case. live by the sword, die by the sword.

yeah, funny that, I buy ink for my printer from a Co. in the States @ $42/litre and yet for the same brand ink in Aus they want $50/100ml. The ink from New york gets here in 2.5 days ..... and the Aus retailer tells me he'll order it when he has a total order of $1000 which may take up to a month .... and you wonder why I shop overseas. When I get that kind of service from an Australian business, then maybe, just maybe.

Harry

Reply to catsailor.net re shortsightedness of people buying sailing gear in the net.

I have a general sympathy/support for the concept of buying locally. ie from the small shop owner versus the faceless multinational etc, and the local sailing shop versus marine.com.

But this general support has its limits.

Holding a rigid line on this (shop local stuff) - you end up way out on a limb. Bit like the strict vegetarian wearing leather shoes :). Because the rest of the world is making your principled stand meaningless, compromised - and sometimes an expensive choice.

Also I am not sure on the accuracy of your advice (scaremongering?) re the customs charges.

Check their website on buying stuff on the internet and importing to Aus at;

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

To quote: "All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less."

This appears to indicate people buying sailing gear on the net can rest easy about a gung-ho Customs officer breaking open a parcel containing their contraband "Harken" blocks and having the TRG descend on their house as a result!! (assuing they are under the $1000 limit).

Then again I'm not an expert in the subject (having never bought/imported sailing gear either under or over $1000) - so I'm happy to be set straight on the actual laws/regs on this.

regards

Mike

OoOooooooooooo,

Interesting, yes i am biased, i do wear leather shoes and eat meat, i do support BCC, Catsailor, Coventry Fasteners and my local Mitre 10 at all costs and i watched Micky grow up. Now that it's on the table...

Yes, i have bought over the net and when it comes time for warranty... "Yessir, get f*#ked"...

As for Bu**ings, never met a bigger bunch of peanuts. Helpful as a sloth on Methadone... Someone, tell me some pimple arsed, peach-fuzz faced git or an overweight, butch same sex couple "mummy" is a tradesman and i'll personally belt em'!!!!

Ever had a bossfoddica?

I recently bought out all (read ALL) their stocks of bird/vermin mesh (12.7 X 12.7 x 900mm wide roll) in Brisneyland at every store between Beenleigh & Stafford, when i went back the bastards had increased the price to $115.00 per roll (from $105.00), that's just plain profiteering. I buy between 40 & 50 (30m) rolls a year for our ventilation louvre products on major construction jobs.

Then i went to my local M10 store (who is a local bloke, and a franchise owner) and they did me a deal $120.00 for a 1200mm wide by 30m roll (better for me, more coverage, less labour, yadda, yadda, yadda) and the old 900mm roll @ $85.00!!! They can deliver in 48hrs or I can pick up from Whites Wires same day...

Out of interest, I asked B**nings if they would match for a long time account holder, even went to "head office"... The f*#kers said "that's our price".... They have been ripping me off for years... with 5 to 7 days delivery...

My $30k a year account just went elsewhere... Whoever owns 'em... UP YOUR CLACKER!!!

ASK AND 'YE SHALL RECEIVE, Keep it local, here endeth the lesson...

Stiff love from Leroy wink.gif

To the Arseholes @ Bunneys........

[This message has been edited by Leapin Leroy (edited 24 July 2007).]

Mike,

As someone who has bought from overseas and had a very BAD experience (Camera from the US) I can tell you now that

1. I had to pay freight clearance fees

2. I had to pay 10% GST - The camera had NO duty but the GST was still calculated (It cost less than $1000)

3. It arrived damaged and with the wrong power supply (even though I checked with the seller that it would plug into an australian soicket - I sent them a pic)

4. When it died within Warranty - The company that sold it to me said I had to retun it in person !!!.

Me scaremongering - I think not !!

[This message has been edited by catsailor.net (edited 25 July 2007).]

Don't start me on F@$#ing Bunnings I hate the friggin place ,As a tradesman I would rather stick shards of broken glass up my arse and sit in a tub of Tabasco sauce than shop at that place ,not only are they twice the price ,really when you step back and look at what they got, THEY GOT F!@#$@ ALL ,and what shit they do stock is EL-CHEEPO CRAP

I can give you 1 recent example , I did the balustrates on my decks and stairs in stainless wiring ,the stainless low profile turnbuckles you use to tension the wires I paid $4.50 ea for from Miami Stainless on the Gold coast ,the other day I'm in Bunnings and I'm checking out the ultra high quality tools and stuff they carry when I glance over and see exactly the same turnbuckle for $32 , I proceeded to laugh my head off ,One of the so called trade experts came over and asked what the problem was and I explained the same story and his come back was the Bunnings cater for the home handyman market and they would be banking on someone coming in and buying 2 or 3 turnbuckles ,not someone coming in and buying 180 of them!

bolts and screws and fixings and stuff I can go to a bolt company and get a range 100 times bigger and pay one sixth the price !same goes with electrical and plumbing.

sorry just my 2c worth........

And to be where the hell do they find those shitbeatles working there ,Those so called Tradies are about as helpful as a dose of the CLAP....

Sorry if I offended anyone on here who works there but you deserve it ,,,God damn get a real job .........

Wow Bunnings seems to have pissed lots of people here off, re' price I've shove their catalogue in their face at least once *the part where they say lowest price guaranteed* and they've always matched and beat by 10% (the tricky part is it's 10% of the difference, not the price).

Agree with you they're more for home handyman which suits me fine, but I have bought lots of paint from them cheaper than Paint's Place.

I wouldn't think Bunnings staff are tradies, and none have put themselves accross to me as tradies. One guy lives in my street, and I see lots of others at the local Westfield, so most likely they're just local school leavers, and yes they don't know much about technical stuff but they point me in the right direction and that's all I want. About the only time I see expert is when my kids attend the how to craft thing, I'd think they bring in craft expert for that.

Just my 2 cents as well....I guess I just like the convenience of everything under one roof.

As for Leroy's experience (1. price gauging, 2. false advertising), in the same situation I would have said to them "see you on TV when the ACCC is through with you"

cheers

Archived