adjustable lower forestay

shoom

At present I am upgrading the lower forestay on my boat. the current system is a 4 to 1 tackle that sits on the forestay itself that you have to reach upto adjust. not the best thing going off the wind on a windy day. so I want to go to the system that the newer boats are using with the cordage lead to each side on the front beam. just wondering what length the wires I need to get made up. eg the wire that comes off the hound down to a block and then the wire that attaches to the chain plate on one side and comes over the afforementioned block and connects to your purchase system on the opposite side. obviously wouldnt want to have the first wire too short as you run the risk of snapping the mast if you bend it more than it was designed to do so. any help greatly appreciated. Tom S

G'day Tom,

You could work it out by rigging the boat and measuring what is required. I reckon the strop on mine would be between 300mm and 450mm. But I will check the length of both the strop and the wire that loops through it and let you know.

Will we see you at the Nationals in Eden?

Regards,

Dave Stumbles.

Hi there Dave

when you can find out for me that would be great!

unfortunately due to my car spitting its gearbox out and a whole heap of unforeseen bills I won't be able to make it as much as I would have liked.. though maybe one day there will be a nationals here at Nedlands.. we can only hope wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No probs. Hope you get plenty of wind to try out those new front lowers.

Just keep in mind to watch out for your head when you walk under them, just the right height for taking off your hat.

My first PT had a much shorter strop, and didn't seem to effect the performance of the lowers, only problem was the flex wire turned on a very tight radius and required replacement each season. Other than that i really don't think the length of the strop is that important. Having said that the measurements i gave you are similar to what most people use, and have served me well for the last 7 or so years!

Cheers.

Archived