Boating stores are rip offs

ashm86

Sheesh, I went to buy some blocks, universal joint and a tiller extension.

The blocks totaled over 100 bux, I ended up going with the Harken Carbo blocks as they were a little cheaper than the Ronstan ones. The universal joint was 50 bux and the tiller extensions started, STARTED at 120 dollars.

I ended up going to a used sporting goods store and bought a golf driver and cut off the head to use as my extension, total of 15 bux for a graphite shaft one(used).

I fully rigged the boat on land tonight to see how it would go, it took me about an hour to get it all sorted out.

I had a hard time figuring out how to tie the battens into the sail, but after a few false starts I figured it out.

She is ready to go now, the first real sail all kitted out will be on monday up at the cottage.

I will be taking pix and video. I am not going to use the hooter until I get used to sailing this boat. I still find it odd that the mast has no spreaders(it's a hobie 14 turbo mast), it worries me, I hope it does not snap on me...

Andrew

You won't snap that mast they put hooters on those boats up to the head. It does not have spreaders because it is an early seventies beach boat. Universal should only be $20. Buy a damaged tiller extension...it comes with a universal...your aluminium dealer will have an anodised tube that fits over beautifully and costs 10 dollars for two metres. four pop rivits and its all done.

Too late, I already bought the universal :-(

Oh well, at least I only have to buy it once.

I am heading off to get a cam kit for my rudders to do them up. They do not lock in the down position. At least that is not a real expensive fix, less than 20 bux.

Andrew

Boat Stores are a bit pricey, but one thing I can say is that fittings do last. I have blocks and other fittings that I bought over 15 years ago, and still going with no sign of dying.

There are other fittings that you should replace at least every 3 years (as recommended by ronstan) these include swage turn buckles.

Archived