Hi, there! Seeking some advice!

iOrion

I have just gone and had a look at pbsc website, can I say I'm a bit reluctant to front up for casual sail some Saturday, what with talk of having to pay to park the car, or needing to have a sticker to say I'm a resident(which I'm not) then having problems getting my boat onto the waterfront, going by the discussions in the submission to the council. I was born and bred in Avalon Beach and learnt to sail on Pittwater, and I would dearly love to be able to sail there again, I have easy acomodation in North Av, etc etc, but for such a beautiful waterway it's a little bit daunting to get your craft out onto the water, even Old Clareville was a nightmare with no where to park last time I went to have a sticky with the thought of bringing the boat next time. Maybe we are spoilt up at Lake maq and Port Stephens with easy access to the water, lots of boat ramps, free parking, easy parking for cars with trailers etc, it makes me question why I would go for a sail/race on Pittwater even if it was for old times sake.

Phil

Clarification of Parking situation at Palm Beach

As many of you would have experienced, councils, state governements and the like are a constant threat to our clubs.

At Palm Beach we still have free car parking. The submission is just one of many sent to council by community groups to keep this access way free. We do not see council charging for parking in the foreseeable future.

So bring your boat, bring your family and have some fun.

• 2 weeks later...

He's just a new guy, still taking one race at a time. Having said that he is improving every race, and once he gets his head around the course and around the boat he will move up the list. This is my 4th or 5th season sailing a cat and I am still not up there, and I raced mono's every weekend as a teenager at Avalon Sailing club in my old Manly Junior. He is still on his 1st season as a novice sailor.

But even at the 14 foot regatta at mano the 430s were not really outstanding when put up against the other 14s sailed well, considering what it cost for a new 430, as opposed to a good second hand mari windy or tiger, and 2 of the 430s were sailed by sailors that I would consider to be good cat sailors. As stated by one of them a 430 will not really shine unless you are out on the wire the whole time sailing windward returns and using the kite. Which would preclude them from sailing in a standard 14 foot regatta I was told.

Thanks. Intersting feedback. I sail a 430 (#435) down here in Victoria. I would have to agree with your comments. It's a tough boat to get it to perform unless it is blowing hard and even then, on a short course, an arrow and PT are as quick if not quicker. I don't have a spinnaker.

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd January is the Mannering Park Open Cat regatta where practically every type of cat will be present. From 5.8s to 4.3s and everything in between. State and national champions from lots of classes plus beginner sailors. Kids to old men. NACRAs 5.8 to the new 430, 30 year old Maris to the new foamies. A range of Paper Tigers, even a Gemini. Wise and some not so wise advise and lots of biased opinions !!

I have just gone and had a look at pbsc website, can I say I'm a bit reluctant to front up for casual sail some Saturday, what with talk of having to pay to park the car, or needing to have a sticker to say I'm a resident(which I'm not) then having problems getting my boat onto the waterfront, going by the discussions in the submission to the council. I was born and bred in Avalon Beach and learnt to sail on Pittwater, and I would dearly love to be able to sail there again, I have easy acomodation in North Av, etc etc, but for such a beautiful waterway it's a little bit daunting to get your craft out onto the water, even Old Clareville was a nightmare with no where to park last time I went to have a sticky with the thought of bringing the boat next time. Maybe we are spoilt up at Lake maq and Port Stephens with easy access to the water, lots of boat ramps, free parking, easy parking for cars with trailers etc, it makes me question why I would go for a sail/race on Pittwater even if it was for old times sake.

Phil

I've done Palm Beach twice now since I bought the W14 and I've used the boat ramp down at Iluka Road. Relatively straight forward and parking if you get in early haha

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=palm+beach,+nsw&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.118084,135.263672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Palm+Beach+New+South+Wales,+Australia&ll=-33.603075,151.31754&spn=0.003717,0.008256&t=h&z=18

I can't think of anywhere else in Palm Beach to rig and launch from though with the exception of up past the golf course - but where do you park?

Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd January is the Mannering Park Open Cat regatta where practically every type of cat will be present. From 5.8s to 4.3s and everything in between. State and national champions from lots of classes plus beginner sailors. Kids to old men. NACRAs 5.8 to the new 430' date=' 30 year old Maris to the new foamies. A range of Paper Tigers, even a Gemini. Wise and some not so wise advise and lots of biased opinions !![/quote']

I dig this.

How does one get to Mannering Park? I've sailed out of Sunshine before and been told many times that "it's just around the corner" but this doesn't really help much. Thanks

Mannering Park - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mannering+park&sll=-33.603075,151.31754&sspn=0.003717,0.008256&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Mannering+Park+New+South+Wales,+Australia&t=h&z=14

to get to Manno from sydney.

Take the Morisset exit off the freeway and head for Morisset, once you come to the roundabout near the concrete batching plant (2nd roundabout from freeway) turn right, go about 5kms up this road till you come to Rutleys road, take that, turnoff for Mano is about 5kms along Rutleys (just after you go across the causeway for the end of the lake, and come up the hill). The turnoff for Manno is shared with the powerstation, (big sign saying delta electricity or some such) drive down into Manno, till you come to Spencer street, take Spencer street till the end, quick left then right and the club is on the end of the road, by the lake.

Alternatively, go past the 'twin servo's' which are just after Wyong on the F3, past the next turnoff which is Sparks Road and then take the next exit which is the Newcastle Link road (I think, but signs to Newcastle East). Then you go over a cross road (lights) at Doyalson and take the next left to Mannering Park, this'll save you quite a bit of time.

It's a LOT closer than Sunshine.

Archived